Funny monkey 1

Harris Helberg

Harris Helberg
Write The World
The Weber School '17

Any feedback is appreciated!

Power Punch

Knocking down stereotypes left and right, Girlfight shows a young adult who breaks the barriers of boxing.  Michelle Rodriguez plays Diana Guzman, our fiery tempered heroine from the housing projects of Red Hook.  She lives with her younger brother, Tiny, who is an aspiring artist, along with her single father, Sandro.  Later in the film Sandro admits to being an abusive husband, and seemed like a weak person.  Her home life is extremely disconnected, and allows her to use that as fire to her passion.  In school, Diana would be officially labeled as an “at-risk, troubled teenager.”  Another argument, another fight, another day.  Threats to be expelled were unheeded and thrown to the side, putting self-worth and standing up for one’s self over education.  In a fictional movie, it works as an idealistic moral value.  Diana realizes that she’s been boxing her whole life, but not in a gym.  She ends up at a Brooklyn boxing gym, eager to convince the trainer to help her be a better boxer and person.  At first, they wouldn’t have any of it.  The trainer was sitting around the table with other men, questioning whether they would integrate the sport for the girl.  While thinking about the situation, another man took a jab at Diana.  He asked if aerobics were more suitable, getting a strong response of “did I ask you?” Her passion was apparent, and while being generally fit, helped her exceed.  As she stared into people’s eyes, I could see the fire in hers.  The gym was a sanctuary for Diana, as well as a place to prove herself.  She adopted her trainer as her all-purpose father, seeking the love and challenges he provided her.  The dread headed teen made it big when the state announced that females may fight against the male boxers.  She tests her limits, learning her moves and even a new perspective on life.  You could argue that this follows the script of a Rocky movie, and I would agree with you.  Nevertheless, I like those kind of movies.  In the second half of the movie, Diana meets a handsome boxer named Adrian.  At this point, the sport pop-culture genre of the movie switches to more of a romance/drama flick.  They fall into a tranced love. Priorities of love and boxing were conflicting and were a huge obstacle in both boxer’s lives.  She appreciated that he hit hard in the ring with her, treating her as a worthy opponent and wouldn’t hold back just because of her gender.  As inferred by my last sentence, some of her opponents played “easy” on her because she was female.   The camera angle, located very close to the ring, provides intimacy and realism to the viewer.  I like the action and fast-paced fighting scenes.  Michelle Rodriguez is almost in the center of the picture during the whole movie.  Her athletic clothing hugged her body, showing her build.  Diana turns into a mature young women, different from her sloppy adolescent past.  Fighting was a release and she learned how to control herself through it.  About the movie’s production, it was an independent film.  A very low budget can still provide a powerful message and win awards as well!  The film won the grand prize for a U.S. drama movie from Sundance, along with a directing award.  This was Michelle Rodriguez’s first film, and her career has going in full throttle ever since.  After 2000, she has done films like Avatar, Fast and Furious, and Lost (the T.V. series).  Wrapping up, the empowering film shows a path of self-worth, success, and overcoming multiple barriers.  Rated-R for language, Girlfight will leave you speechless after watching.
Would love some constructive feedback!