Cupo

Grace Mary Potts

My life is comprised of inconsistencies, daydreaming, procrastination techniques and occasionally, writing.

“You wrote down that you were a writer by profession. It sounded to me like the loveliest euphemism I had ever heard. When was writing ever your profession? It's never been anything but your religion." - J.D. Salinger

I would like to say this quote describes me but I'm one of those writers who just procrastinates all the time. More of a "writer" if I'm being honest. To those unfortunate enough to read my work: I very much appreciate any comment you can provide, particularly if it's the constructive kind.

Sensation and Contemplation

1

feel the gentle touch of the cool breeze against my warm cheek. 

I smell the heady stench of smoke rising quietly from the tips of cigarettes held slack between curled fingers. Blending subtly with the rich scent of mosquito-repellent incense from where it rests on the table's plastic-covered surface.

taste something faintly sweet on my tongue when I chew soft bread that gives easily beneath the bite of my teeth

see hues of gold and pink dusting the clouds and painting the late afternoon sky, the sun just peaking over the tops of the trees and houses that comprise suburban living.

hear the clink of glasses and the warm chatter of voices.

And I wonder about the reason for things and the complex simplicity of just being