rfwilliams

Star Wars Episode VII: The Fans Awaken

“To go boldly where no man has gone before”, J.J. Abrams leaves Captain Kirk and the crew to join a new enterprise, Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. Calming the worries of fans about Disney ruining the galaxy far far away, Abrams incorporates everything fans loved about the old films into the new cinema. Not only does this rekindle the bond fans have with Star Wars, but the flashbacks also redefine how sequels and audiences should interact with each other.
Taking place thirty galactic years after George Lucas left off, the First Order, a remnant of the Empire, has risen. Hunting Jedi, the Order sends Kylo Ren  (Adam Driver), the main antagonist, to find and kill the audience’s favorite Jedi, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill). However, when there is darkness, there is also light. Also searching for Luke, General Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher), still a princess in the audience’s heart, dispatches the Rebellion to find her brother in exile. Stars Wars VII: The Force Awakens soon becomes an elaborate chase to obtain information about his whereabouts. Caught up in the pursuit, the main characters, Fin (John Boyega), a treasonous stormtrooper, and Rey (Daisy Ridley), a Force-sensitive scavenger, rediscover the familiar galaxy the audience once knew.
    Knowing that there would be two types of fans, those who religiously follow Star Wars and those who will one day religiously follow Star Wars, Abrams incorporates similar settings and scenes of those of the original trilogy. Rather than being put into an unfamiliar galaxy, fans are welcomed by Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and the loud roar of Chewbacca. Whether it be the new, young cast trying to operate the junky Millenium Falcon or the classic cantina setting, this was the Star Wars people remembered from 1983. These references allowed for the original fans to rekindle their bond with the series, and reintroduced the galaxy to the new fans. Abrahams recognizes the new generation of Star Wars by creating a new stormtrooper armor. Although this seems unimportant and quite frivolous, it symbolizes the transition from one generation to the next. Abrams also illuminates this transformation with the shift in cast. Having old cast members from the prequels return with new main characters represented the subtle, but necessary, changes between trilogies. Noting the distinction in fans, Abrams makes a Star Wars movie that all fans love.
    Not only did the director make a must-see action thriller film, but he also redefines what a sequel should be. In modern cinema, mediocre directors normally research the plot and continue the story, but very few directors take the time to see why the film was a hit in the audience's eyes. Exemplifying this underused skill, Abrams realized that many fans loved close-aerial combat from the prequels. In The Force Awakens, there is no shortage of exciting dogfights that have fans on edge. Because of this obtained quality, Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens will be a notable movie of this new generation as it was for the last.
    Although The Force Awakens has nail biting dogfights, an amazing cast, and stupendous settings, its greatest attribute is its connection with the audience. While many directors dream of this relation with the audience, Abrams has also turned this fiction into a reality. Receiving the movie well, fans flocked to the movie theater to have an experience of a lifetime. Abrams racks in 250 million dollars opening weekend in the United States towards his 1.5 billion dollar goal. Most likely going to exceed that milestone, Star Wars VII is a great time to join the war between the dark side and the light. No matter if you are a diehard fan or a person who has barely heard about the cinematography, Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens is a movie that the whole galaxy will marvel at.