rfwilliams

Star Wars Episode VII: The Fans Awaken

“To go boldly where no man has gone before”, J.J. Abrams leaves Captain Kirk and the crew to join a new enterprise, Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. Taking place thirty galactic years after George Lucas left off, the First Order, a remnant of the Empire has risen. Hunting Jedi, the Order sends, Kylo Ren, a member of the Knights of Ren, to obtain a piece of the map to the lost Jedi, Luke Skywalker. However, when there is darkness, there is also light. Also hearing about the information about her brother, General Leia Organa dispatches her best pilot to retrieve the information. Poe Dameron, leader of the red and blue X-wing squadrons, slightly outraces the Empire to the a small village on the sandy planet Jakku. Confronted with stormtroopers on all sides, the settlement quickly surrendered; only to be massacred, giving flashbacks to the audience about Luke’s parent's death. From that point onwards, Stars Wars VII: The Force Awakens, becomes an elaborate chase to obtain this essential information. From fights with Force-sensitive scavenger, Rey, to a fleeing treasonous storm trooper, Fin, Star Wars fans find themselves in the same galaxy from 1983.
    Throughout the film, Abrams incorporates many memorable setting and situations from the original trilogy to strengthen the connection with the audience. Whether it be the new, young cast trying to operate the junky Millenium Falcon or the classic cantina setting, this was the Star Wars people idolized. Unlike Episodes I, II, and III or Star Wars, having actors from original trilogy enabled a link between the audience and the cast; rather than being put into an unfamiliar galaxy, fans are welcomed by Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and the loud roar of Chewbacca. Unlike the worshipped originals, the cinema did not obtain a WOW factor. Although all the close aerial combat was elaborate and realistic, The Force Awakens’s plot build-up is rushed to introduce all the new characters, causing the final battle-scene to be expectable and lackluster. Comparable to Marvel’s Avengers Age of Ultron, the movie was picturesque and memorable, but it did not live up to its prequels.
    Fortunately, the Force is strong with this new series. Having a stupendous transition movie, the third trilogy has much promise. Abrams racks in 250 million dollars opening weekend towards his 1.5 billion dollar goal. Most likely going to exceed that milestone, Star Wars VII is a great time to join the war between the dark side and the light. Not mattering if you are a diehard fan or a person who has barely heard about the cinematography, Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens is a movie that the whole galaxy will marvel at.