blakier

​The Blind Side: A Remarkably True Story

WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

It seems like almost every athlete has some sort of backstory. We think we have heard it all: a homeless kid rises from the slums of their city to become a world class athlete. However, The Blind Side stands out from the rest as a truly remarkable and heartwarming story. This sports drama film follows teeneager Michael Oher (acted by Quinton Aaron), who goes from being a poor kid with family issues, to a football superstar. He is picked up by Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock), Sean Tuohy (Tim McGraw), and the rest of the Tuohy family when they see him homeless on the side of the road. They decide to bring him into their luxurious home to spend the night. One night leads to another and then eventually they adopt him into their family, get him clothes and a car, and even enroll him into their private school. Eventually, Michael is able to play football for his school. He struggles at first with the sport, but before long he becomes a force to be reckoned with. Michael becomes best friends with the much younger SJ Tuohy (Jay Head), and eventually Collins Tuohy who warms up to him after a while. While life seems to be taking a turn for the better, Michael, or “Big Mike” as he is sometimes referred to by his peers, still faces many hardships in his life. Eventually his past catches up to him, and the pressure of school and football all come down on him. He must learn to manage all of these things in order to keep his dream of playing football alive.

This film was very well put together by director John Lee Hancock. It is the definition of a heartwarming, feel-good story. The acting roles were picked out perfectly for the characters. The famous Sandra Bullock has yet again had another amazing role in another amazing film. Another celebrity, Tim McGraw was a great, ratable father in the story towards Michael. Also, the up-and-coming Lily Collins amazingly portrayed the scared and then caring Collins.   This movie will have your emotions all over the pace. You could be laughing along with the comically innocent SJ Tuohy and then crying at the sadness of Michael Oher’s situation just seconds later (almost everyone I know who has seen the movie has cried at some point). But then, right once you are done crying, you will be back to cheering on his endeavors on the gridiron. You never really knew what life-changing event was going to happen to Big Mike next. Some people might think that the movie is a little slow and uneventful, however, the purpose of the movie is not to be action-packed and full of adventure. It is meant to tell a story, which isn’t always the most entertaining, but if you can get past the slow, or so called “boring” parts, you can see the movie for what it is: a truly remarkable and incredible story of a kid who defies the odds to become something great.

I would recommend this movie to almost everyone. That being said, the movie is rated PG-13, and you should use caution when showing the film to children. There are a couple scenes that may not be appropriate for them, but it is up to the parent to make the best call for their kid. You do not have to be a sports fan to find joy in this movie, however, if you are a sports fan, there is even more reason to see this movie and fall in love with Michael Oher. If you aren’t hooked on the movie during the first thirty minutes, just give it a chance, and keep paying attention. You might find that the movie grows on you and that you You are going to need some tissues for what might have turned out to be one of the best inspirational sports movies of the early twenty-first century.

1