mallorynathan

“If you’re from Africa, why are you white?”

Mean Girls (2004)
Mean Girls, a cinematic masterpiece, hit theaters by storm in 2004.  A comedic drama directed by Mark Waters showcases Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Tina Fey, as well as many other well-known stars in a dramatic representation of daily high school life.  
    The film begins with Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) beginning her first day of school ever, not as a five-year-old, but at seventeen after being homeschooled for her entire life in Africa due to her mother’s job in the foreign continent.  As a typical high school student would, Cady spends the first few days at Northshore High School in Chicago searching for her group of friends.  Cady falls into the wrong crowd and the movie shows her struggles with maintaining her values while trying to fit in.  Mean Girls is a typical film about a girl falling for a guy with a girlfriend and becoming jealous, with a few twists that keep it interesting.  
    Not only is the plot entertaining, but the cinematography is also exquisite.  The film is visually appealing, and keeps one from becoming bored.  The cameras follow the actors at interesting angles, in order to show the viewers the most affective views.  The lighting is perfect in that when the mood is low or quiet, the lights are visibly darker and the opposite when the mood is more energetic.
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching this film.  It is a movie that makes young adults appreciate their upbringing and the role their parents played in their lives.  I was particularly intrigued by the way these students treated their peers.  The girls are so incredibly mean to each other, which leads to a more entertaining plot.  The dramatic music at points creates suspense as well as the talented actors in the film.  To me, a gripping movie is funny, dramatic, suspenseful, and simply entertaining.  Mean Girls held up to my high standards with the wit that the characters possess, the situations that the girls find themselves in, the eagerness to figure out the next problem, and the downright hilarity of the film.
    I would definitely recommend this film to someone looking for a good laugh.  Although it’s not a feel-good movie, the ending left me satisfied.  If one is looking for an action-packed horror movie, Mean Girls is not that movie.  People ranging from young adult to the elderly can benefit greatly from this film in that experts always say, “A laugh a day keeps the doctor away”.  Please give this movie a chance and hopefully viewers find this film enjoyable as I did.

• January 19, 2016 - 9:44am (Now Viewing)