Liana Slomka

"The Princess Bride" - Rated "E" for Everyone

Based on the novel by William Goldman and directed by Rob Reiner, The Princess Bride fails to disappoint.  Anyone.  Few people could watch this movie without being drawn in to the action, the romance, the characters, their motives.  Brilliant camera shots of forests and cliffs combined with fast paced dialogue and plenty of plot twists are bound to keep any viewer’s heart rushing.
            The “outer story” follows a grandfather (Peter Falk) reading his long-time favorite book to his grandson (Fred Savage) who is sick in bed.  The main plot is that which follows the book characters – Buttercup (Robin Wright) and her “farmboy,” Westley (Cary Elwes) who fall in love before he is killed by the Dread Pirate Roberts.  Soon after, Buttercup is whisked away by Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) to be married on their country’s 500th anniversary.
            The story intensifies when Buttercup, on her daily horse ride – the only enjoyable part of her new life as a princess-to-be – is captured by Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin), a Spanish swordsman with a thirst for revenge, Fezzik (Andre the Giant), a giant who is protective of his friends, and Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), the arrogant mastermind of the three.  Suddenly, a Man in Black catches up with them.  He saves Buttercup and befriends Fezzik and Inigo.  At this point in the movie, the drama has only just begun.
            With scenes filled to the brim with rock climbing, fencing duels, battles of wit, quicksand attacks, medieval torture devices, and pirates, no action fan could be let down.  These are countered by moments with a “kiss that left the rest behind”, grief, reunions, jealousy, and desperation, that would leave any romantic feeling fulfilled.
            The Princess Bride, although the title rings with the sound of a “chick flick,” truly has something for everybody.  The focus on love and war, despair and hope is up to par with other emotional, romantic movies, but is balanced by satisfyingly cheesy special effects and talk of miracles.  Packed to the brim with adventure and romance, drama and comedy, there is hardly a boring second.  All viewers should use the restroom before the movie.  This is the only way to prevent missing something incredibly exciting, moving, or just plain incredible.  The interwoven storyline the grandfather and grandson illustrate the suitability of the movie for family bonding.  No matter the circumstances or the audience, no one can go wrong by watching The Princess Bride.

1