ztoporek1214

Trainwreck Review with Slight Spoilers

Every so often a movie comes out that satirizes common teenage or middle age problems in a humorous way without completely offending an archetype of people and Trainwreck was one of those movies. One thing that makes this movie so affective is how the focus is on one lost soul, Amy. She faces typical problems that a middle aged women would face in the 21st century, but she does so with grace, confidence, and humor.
    For example, when her character is tested by her family issues, her drinking and smoking addiction, her “love for love,” and her inability to give someone her whole heart she realizes that she isn’t living her life to her fullest potential and she changes accordingly. She has this amazing ability to face things head on. She doesn’t hold back; she is not afraid of telling others the truth, unless her heart is on the line. However, it is this ability to be blunt with her friends and family that ultimately lead to her raunchy, hardworking, and humorous lifestyle. These three adjectives usually aren’t all found in one being, so, this is what makes Amy so relatable because viewers “choose” what trait to identify with. However, perhaps the most understandable is Amy’s inability to fully give someone her heart, but when she learns to do so, she is happier than she ever thought she deserved.
    But, where Amy’s character is probably most relatable is when she and others compare her to her sister who lives a rather normal life. Her sister is married, pregnant, a stepmother, easy going, smart, and therefore lives traditionally. Not to make an assumption, but I’m sure everyone has compared themselves to someone who has an “easier” or “more normal” life than they see themselves having. I know I’m guilty of this… weekly. Even Amy must be guilty because she wrote the movie.
So.. how did Amy become so corrupt? Well, in the first scene we already clearly see that her father’s actions are what sway her lifestyle choices. In this scene he tells Amy and her sister that he is leaving their mother simply because “monogamy is unrealistic.” So, it’s very clear to see that her father wasn’t the type of person to think that love conquers any other desire, but why does Amy do the same? Don’t guys usually do the whole polygamy thing..? Well, men are often portrayed as polygamist and for this reason Amy is testing and blurring gender roles. She usually acts like the stereotypical guy in her sexual and even more romantic relationships. This is what makes her so strong and inspirational. The viewers see an independent women and therefore, stray from stereotypes.
    Trainwreck in itself was created so diligently, not just the complex yet relatable character that is Amy. Each setting was used with great thought. For example, when Amy and Aaron become the cheesy couple that no one wants to be, they are seen in common places where love can be seen and obviously satirized like: a train, Central Park, and basketball games. There are also many surprise and humourous guests like famous athletes and past SNL actors and actresses.
    With the constant laughs, tests of love (for both a significant other and a family member), and celebrity sightings, a second viewing is almost necessary, I know it was for me.

2