Peer Review by Phoebe L (United States)

Recapturing the Magic of Summers Past in Moonrise Kingdom

By: Rosa

From the first moments of the opening credits, Moonrise Kingdom stands out as an absolute visual delight. Director Wes Anderson brings his signature aesthetic vision, creating a setting full of warm color palettes, symmetry, and a myriad of small details and flourishes sure to reward multiple viewings. But for crafting such a rich, appealing world, the film struggles to populate that world to an equally successful measure. Moonrise Kingdom is an artistic, easily watchable film, but its plot and characters lack the substance needed to elevate it above just being entertainment.
    Moonrise Kingdom happily participates in the great American film tradition of romanticizing the past. Set in the summer of 1965 on a small (fictitious) New England island, the film is replete with nostalgia for “simpler” times. Its central storyline concerns the budding romance between two young teenagers, Sam and Suzy, following them as they run away from home and engage in a picturesque series of traditional summer pastimes – swimming in the ocean, exploring the woods, and dancing with endearing awkwardness for the first time on an empty beach. Meanwhile, the lives of the island’s adults intersect and influence each other in ways both humorous and serious as they attempt to recover the escaped children, and many revelations are to be had along the way.
    It is these adult characters who draw attention to one of the film’s main weaknesses – an inability commit to a genre. Its simplistic plot makes it predisposed to light-hearted comedy, a mode that it comfortably inhabits for much of the run time. But it also makes forays into drama, almost all of which fall flat. Many characters profess unhappiness, but their stiff affects and hyper-stylized performances make these emotional claims unconvincing and awkward. Other decisions meant to lend weight to the film are similarly misjudged, such as the subplot of Suzy’s mother’s affair. Rather than create a juxtaposition between child and adult problems; their likely intended aim; they simply feel out of place.
    The scope of Moonrise Kingdom is not overambitious scope. The film is content to tell a contained, well-tread story, one that spans only three days of time within the film. But despite this modest framework, the film struggles to maintain focus and avoid over-embellishment. While not a significant distraction, the film definitely has too many moving parts. Quirky secondary characters, such as a narrator who later becomes directly involved in the story and an idiosyncratic bureaucrat known only as “Social Services” enter and exit the narrative whenever it is convenient, and remain underdeveloped as a result. The elaborate interior sets that have become a trademark of Anderson’s are sometimes simply overcrowded and busy, making it difficult for the viewer to take everything in.
    In contrast to busy indoor scenes, the film’s outdoor cinematography constitutes one of its major strengths. The lighting is a perfect fit for the film’ general aesthetic, soft and delicately aged as though a vintage camera were really used. The setting itself is charming, composed mainly of pristine forests and coasts, and the full beauty of the environment is brought out by varied camera techniques. Long distance shots and first person perspectives appear regularly throughout the film. It is in these nature scenes that the film’s nostalgia is most apt, tapping into the ideal of what a childhood summer is meant to be like, neatly packaging all of the best parts of summer camp together.
    Whenever Moonrise Kingdom remains within its original premise – a sweet summer adventure – it always deliver, so viewers interested in such a film can expect to be pleased. The film’s creative aesthetic and cinematography is sure to appeal to artistic viewers. Other elements of the film may not land as well, but they do not detract from the overall viewing experience in an overwhelming way. The film’s ending may feel too abrupt for some viewers, relying on some deus ex machina; however, this is another minor fault that is fairly easy to look beyond. In spite of some missteps, Moonrise Kingdom is overall a successful, enjoyable film, and makes for excellent comfort viewing on a cold winter day.

I think the opening paragraph is well written and explains your ideas about the movie clearly and concisely. I think a creative title would grab the reader's attention even more. A lot of movie review titles are pun-based, but anything that gives a bit of a description for the movie works. Another successful way movie review writer's catch attention is by using a memorable quote, such as, for this movie, "I love you, but you don't know what you're talking about." (Just as an example) Because you don't think Anderson did the best job of fleshing out his characters, you could relate the quote to the fact that he doesn't know how to develop his characters.

I can definitely tell that you did your research on film writing and the review terms. I feel like you got inside Anderson's head and interpreted what he meant for each part the movie to mean, and you did it well. I also think you did a good job of analyzing the film and pointing out the flaws without turning viewers off to watching the film. I think if I had read this before seeing the movie, I would have thought more about the acting and plot construction than if I hadn't read your review.

I thought everything was well supported and understandable. I didn't understand was what "deus ex machina" means, but I'm not up on film jargon. I wanted more detail on what you meant by the "symmetry" of the film as well.

I really enjoyed reading this! Moonrise Kingdom is one of my favorite movies (I had actually started a review on it for this contest before deciding not to enter, which I thought was a funny coincidence). That being said, I liked your review a lot and gave me a different perspective on the movie. I think you've got a great review here, the only thing I suggest working on is the title and maybe an additional opener, although I like the way the rest of your opening paragraph is now.

Good luck in the competition! :)