camlily

hi there

How can I improve this? Feedback much appreciated :)

Unstoppable #Howitfelt

12
Imagine you're about to go through an immense amount of physical pain.
(but you chose to, so that makes it easier)
You're standing in a huge group of people;
some of them friends, 
some of them strangers.
And they're all about to go through the same thing. 
You're nervous.
(all of your nerves stand on end)
You wait for the sound of a single gunshot-
you're alert, because 
you'll be left behind if you miss it.
It happens with a bang. 
(you don't miss it, thankfully)
Then you're moving.  
Your legs are pumping.
Your lungs fill with adrenaline. 
The wind blows in your face with the force of a thousand fans
(but it feels heavenly on your skin). 
And you've become a machine.
Everything and nothing happens.
The only thing you hear
is the sound of your own breath
and the whole world
cheering you on.
Yes, it hurts,
but you can't stop. 
You're running your heart out.
You won't give up.  
You are unstoppable.
This is an entry for LackingASocialLife's amazing competition (which I urge you to check out; I would include links but for some reason my computer isn't letting me).  If you didn't guess what it was about, it's about my experience with running.  Story time!!!!!!!!! So this summer, I've been attending practices for the Cross Country team at my (now) High School.  Tryouts were like three weeks before school started, and I made the team :).  So we have practice every day Monday-Saturday, with practices at five in the morning every Friday (which means waking up at four).  You wouldn't think it would be that hard-core since it's just running, but it's actually really extreme.  This Saturday was our first meet, or race, so I was pretty nervous.  Luckily, I made friends with a few freshmen on the team, so it ended up being really fun :).  We ran a 5k and I finished as the first freshman girl with a time of 25:07 minutes, finishing 48th out of 121 girls (which is actually pretty good because we were running against seniors and juniors and it was my first actual race).  So... yeah! I basically slept the whole rest of the day XD.  I actually just came back from a short run today :P
Ok this might be the longest footnotes ever and I've talked about myself wayyy too much here so let's get into the shoutout!! (again I apologize, my computer is not letting me link stuff so I'll just have to put the names)
Today's shoutout goes to nevaredhp!  Nevaredhp is an extremely talented writer on this site; and even though she has only nine pieces so far, she has a whopping 43 followers!! She writes INCREDIBLE short stories that should be published into actual books- her entry into rosemary wisdom's contest, Her Every Word, and her ongoing series (the pieces being named "Fact or Fiction" and "Friend and Foe".  I really really really recommend that you check these pieces out because they are SO good and you really won't regret it ;). 
Another thing I commend in other writers on this site is being involved with the writing prompts that Write the World provides because I find it really difficult to do so (most of my pieces are just free writing).  Almost all of nevaredhp's pieces are written to fit a prompt, and they all do it perfectly.  This just shows how amazing of a writer she is, and that you should check out her profile and pieces immediately!!! 

~have a wonderful day and thanks for reading~

​<3

• CreativeAngel

I’m here

• camlily

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUUUUU <3 <3

• LackingASocialLife

Congrats hon! Winners are ouuuuut

• Johanna

Great piece! I quite enjoy running myself but I can't run very fast ;n; so I'm too scared to join track. ANYWAYS congrats for winning!!!

• lianhabanana!

this is sooooooooooooooooooo good!

• camlily

yessss XD

• Support The End

pacer test in a nutshell

• camlily

Of course!!!!! You are awesome <3

• nevaredhp

*jaw drops to floor* THANK YOU!!! You are so sweet :) And congratulations on the cross-country meet! I have friends in cross-country and it is definitely an underrated, tough sport. Your poem brought me right back to gym class when I had to run the mile. Great job and thank you again! You made my day.

• LackingASocialLife

I suck at sport so I can't relate- although I love this! Thanks for joining on!

• camlily

Oh my goodness thank you so much @Luna Lemon!!!! I really appreciate it <3 <3 <3

• Luna Lemon

Amazing as usual! You built up this poem so well making the last line triumphant for the reader. I love how you contrasted the pain but the exhilaration of running. It was soooo well done and I love how you put some of the lines in parentheses. And the ending wrapped up this piece beautifully. Congrats at the cross country meet btw! That's awesome and I like how you wrote this piece based off that experience.
    Great job as always Camlily:)<3<3<3