Acrystalpartridge

Crys Partridge

I've lived in three countries so far and hope to further travel the world in order to gain the depth I need for the stories I really want to write someday - the stories I'm practicing for now.

How well can you picture the scene?
What emotions/ mood does it seem to have?

Walk in the Rain

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

0
    A few years ago, she had forced herself into the habit of looking up whenever she walked in order to trick herself into confidence. Now, however, her eyes steadily acknowledged each rough-cut stone in the cobblestone sidewalk and the puddles accumulating in the shallower spaces. Every small European car that drove by moved as far to the other side of the narrow road as possible to avoid potential collision and diminish the amount of water that the tires flung toward the pedestrian. When the sidewalk disappeared in favor of farther-out walls encompassing larger yards for the neighborhood houses, she looked at all the yellow instead. Orangy-yellow painted walls, fading pale yellow painted walls, clay yellow stone walls, moldy yellow wall bricks. Of course there was the occasional pink or light blue wall, but they were mainly yellow walls topped with metal fences and filled in with high shrubbery in case someone might dare to try to look in on the yard. Then the houses inside those walls were built tall enough that anyone in the top floor could look out the windows into all the neighbors' yards. If they looked out now, they would conclude it was a bad time to go out walking or shopping. The misty rain fell lightly, but consistently until the front of her black jeans were thouroghly soaked (the back was perfectly dry, perhaps due to posture or rain slant), the shoulders of her sweatshirt were heavy, and every puddle swallowed her worn out crocs as she strolled leisurely down the street, squinting downward through wet eyelashes. 
The setting is Cascais, Portugal for those curious :)