Corner Writing Club

"Feedback is the breakfast of champions."
-Frank A. Clark

Corner Writing Club is the perfect place for anyone looking for feedback and a chance to contribute to a writing society. Join by following our profile and filling out the form under the piece entitled "Rules and Form" (the second piece under our Published Work). This club is hosted by RainAndSonder and Paperbird; we publish updates every few days.
Some features this club offers are:
- games/challenges
- prompts
- contests
- featured pieces/writers
- and more!
We operate on a system of monthly reviewing partners. Members of our club are paired with new users every month to write a review of that person's work for every week of that time period.
Please ONLY follow Corner Writing Club if you would like to join this system.

First Game of the Club!

12
(If you don't know what this club is, Corner Writing Club is a brand new user-hosted club on WtW that helps writers get more feedback on their writing, and you can find out more about it here)

Hello everyone! I'm honestly really surprised by the amount of members we're getting, but I'm also excited, because this club is something I've been planning for a long time and now that it's actually here and working... it's just fantastic.

Anyway, this is the first game of the club, and the first real activity we'll have. Non-members are welcome to join in! This is a game that I'm sure everyone has played before or knows, and it works like this:

I'll give you a sentence. For example, "The boy went to the grocery store". Then the first person to read this will add onto that by one line in the comments, so they could comment "Unfortunately, he got separated from his mom." And then the second person adds onto that, and so on and so forth.

Here's the sentence: "The man hurried down the street."

Pretty average, isn't it? But as we add onto it, it'll start forming into an actual story. Here are some prompts, in case you don't know what to comment: what does the man look like? Where is he? Where is he going, and why is he in such a hurry? What's the weather like? What kind of person is this man? What's his background? What's he thinking?

Let's start!

• LyraLynne

The white became red as the edges of his vision blurred, and his brain felt like the magma beneath an active volcano, churning and ready to blow.

• lianhabanana!

When he tried to yell for help no voice came out of his mouth nor could he hear anything.

• SomeFormOfWriting

Everything faded away and when the man's eyes blinked open, he was back in the corner, surrounded by white, padded walls. Rosie's blue sunglasses laid in the center of the room, but when he attempted to reach out to touch them, he realized his arms were strapped to each other.

• JediKnightGirl

As the wizard rounded the corner, he had no choice to but shoot him. A perfectly aimed bullet went straight through the wizard's heart and killed him in seconds. "Rosie!" he yelled, sprinting down the alley until finally he saw her, big blue sunglasses and all.

Finally, turned to stare at him. "Brendan Urie," she whispered. "My father. We meet again."

• Aihpos

He dashes out the exit while the wizard tries multiples spell to regain his legs. He skids around the corner, following the signs of the struggle.

"You know that cat is my daughter!" He shouted at the wizard, seeing through the false policeman's guise. "You're the one that changed her! And by my suitcase, I'll have my revenge."

The wizard laughed. "That suitcase doesn't scare me."

The man flicked it open in answer and a spell rushed out.

• Aihpos

He slowly pulls his gun out, holding it shakily in two hands.
    "Where is she?" He says, backing slowly to the exit.

• Ellie!

He was not going to let anybody talk about Rosie that way; for he remembered how reverently they'd all looked at her before she was a cat, and now?
    Traitors, he thought.

• valentina

"Your daughter is a cat?"The man laughed. "I knew you were obsessed with Rosie, but I didn't know why."
    "Don't talk about Rosie that way." His eyes were as hard and blue as gunmetal.

• f l o r a

"What type of initiation? Where is my Rosie? I want my daughter back now," The man showed off a police badge and a gun in a holster, which was hidden discreetly under the trench coat he wore. "I won't hesitate to send one of these damn bulletts right through your head."

• omicron7889

"The answer to that will be revealed after, and only after you complete the initiation." The man's strangulated voice sent coursing shivers down his spine, and he struggled to keep his breath even.

• Johanna

"What did you do with Rosie?" He doesn't turn around.

• Aihpos

He turns around, shocked. He starts running to the exit when he hears a man's voice behind him.
    "Leave now, and you're fired!"

• Johanna

He blinked a few times, adjusting to the sudden darkness. Then, he saw a flash of Rosie, her fur bristling. A blink later, she was gone.

• Aihpos

He sighed. There's nothing he can do. He puts his hand out and the wall opens and he takes a deep breath before stepping into the shadows.

• Johanna

The wall came closer and closer, and he can't help but stop to stare at the graffiti that covered the bricks.

• Kahasai

In a fog, not paying heed to his surroundings, he stumbled his way to his initiation, to the building that held the fate of his career within its walls.

• _TJNR@cheshire_

She wouldn't budge, gripping tighter and tighter, wedged into the crevasses of his still present sanity. But he wasn't necessarily all....there.

• janice

He grasped his super-secret bag tighter and struggled to push her out of his mind.

• Surly Wombat

After all who knew what would happen if he was late to the initiation.

• RavensInkWrites

The man planned to chase after her, but thought better of it at the last moment.

• janice

He shook his head; Rosie was such a traitor--she *knew* that he could talk to animals and yet didn't stick around!

• Corner Writing Club

The stray cat turned her head in surprise; Rosie flicked her tail, alarmed, and padded away disdainfully.

• janice

His previous love for her was conflicting; he finally summoned the courage to look her in the eyes.

• paperbird

His eyes glazed; his obsession had become almost maniacal, and at once he had the urge to shout to her and throw himself deeply at her feet.

• muppet

She walked out of a nearby shop, her big blue sunglasses obscuring her beautiful eyes. It was the woman who had ruined everything, Rosie.

• rosemarywisdom

His heart rate increased with the thought of facing it. Of facing HER.

• JediKnightGirl

Blowing the cigarette out and crushing it in his fist, he finally turned and faced his fate, knowing it was pointless to delay the inevitable. His eyes widened at the sight.

He look a drag of his cigarette, depending on the nicotine to calm his nerves, but even as the grey pollution exhaled from his lips, he felt the urge grow stronger.

• R.j.Elsewhere

But he couldn't stop himself from having a peak. As if he could tell that no matter how far or how hard he ran, a piece of his soul was eternally bounded to that place of the damned.

• ethereal.otherworldly

he knew there was no way that looking back would do him any good now.

• Lauren Nelson

He started to look over his shoulder, but thought better of it and stopped.

• Catlover

He was going to be late.