sydney13

Trapped in a Brick & Concrete World

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

1
    She knew that it was impossible to leave. The concrete wall lifted nearly seventy feet, casting a dark shadow over the city's streets. Plants reaching upward lined the wall, their leaves dead and dry as if they had died trying to escape. People hardly left their houses at all, and anyone who did go out walked quickly and urgently, their identities concealed by dark sunglasses and untrustworthy glances. Cracked pavement painted the ground and the buildings had been drained of color with the only shades available being brick and grey. Although some structures were so large they even towered over the wall, they seemed to slouch as if all of the pride had been beaten out of them by the hand of an abusive father. Gone was the time where the sky shone blue through the clouds and people roamed freely. The time when visitors came to witness the blooming of the cherry blossom trees in the spring and iceskate in circles under the winking faces of the winter night sky. Caroline missed that world, her heart often ached for normality but no longer with hope. She had realized a long time ago that they were trapped and there was no getting out. 

• January 8, 2016 - 11:30am (Now Viewing)