Fd22aa4d 2798 48c8 87d1 e21418fff502

Corner Writing Club

"Feedback is the breakfast of champions."
-Frank A. Clark

Corner Writing Club is the perfect place for anyone looking for feedback and a chance to contribute to a writing society. Join by following our profile and filling out the form under the piece entitled "Rules and Form" (the second piece under our Published Work). This club is hosted by RainAndSonder and Paperbird; we publish updates every few days.
Some features this club offers are:
- games/challenges
- prompts
- contests
- featured pieces/writers
- and more!
We operate on a system of monthly reviewing partners. Members of our club are paired with new users every month to write a review of that person's work for every week of that time period.
Please ONLY follow Corner Writing Club if you would like to join this system.

Writing Tip #1 - Filler Words

15
As someone who does a lot of reviewing and critiquing, this is something I've noticed a lot in writing, so I've decided that for this club's first writing tip, we'll be talking about filler words.

What are filler words?
Filler words are... well, they're hard to explain, but when I get to examples you'll see what I mean. Filler words are words that clog your writing and obstruct the reader's experience with your writing. Most of the time, they will make your writing a lot weaker and should be removed.

But what exactly are filler words?
Here's a sentence that uses a filler word:
"She saw the sun rising over the hill, painting the valley a gorgeous gold color."
See what I mean? Here I'm not showing you what's happening, I'm telling you what the main character saw was happening. It's subtle but important. Here's a list of filler words:
- she saw
- she heard
- she felt
- she thought
- she wondered
- she realized
- she watched
- seemed (sometimes)
- she decided
- she knew
- she sounded

What should I do about them?
Filler words are ridiculously easy to fix. The hard part is noticing them and recognizing them.
Let's take that example earlier. If you forgot, it was this:
Now let's remove the filler word:
"The sun rose over the hill, painting the valley a gorgeous gold color."
See? It's not hard at all. Sometimes they'll be trickier and you'll have to rephrase the line or flip the words around, but most of the time getting rid of filler words is an easy job.

Things to Keep in Mind + Recap
I should clarify that, like almost anything, filler words are acceptable in certain situations. If it makes the sentence better, or delivers the point that you wanted to deliver more effectively, then go ahead!
However, most of the time filler words just clog up your writing and distance the reader, and are used accidentally. Often writers don't even notice until they reread the piece or a reader points it out. So next time you're revising or reading over your work, remember to keep an eye out for filler words!

• nezi_nes

Hey, I like your idea on giving advice on writing. It's something I would never have thought about. Keep this going, you're doing great guys!

• pencils.and.paper.roses

This is awesome! Currently working on a word count in my novel, but once it's finished I will definitely look back at this for editing. ")

• Kahasai

Well said.

Great tip! Never even think about filler words... this'll definitely help!

• Corner Writing Club

Actually the reason we started this club was because that feature was down when we tried numerous times. Maybe it’s up now. This club can still function, however, and normal clubs can’t have competitions, tips, or games.

• rosemarywisdom

Hi Corner Writing Club,
    I don't know if you knew this, but you actually can start your own group here. Just go to the Groups page and click Request A Group and it gives you instructions to start your own. Maybe this could be an option for the club as well?
    xo,
    rosemarywisdom

• janice

What really ticks me off is when people use really long, really similar filler words constantly. Thanks for the tips, though! :)

• rosemarywisdom

Great! I'll try and utilize this tip.