Katie B.

Hi! My name is Katie. I am a sixteen years old, and I really enjoy reading and writing. When I'm not daydreaming or playing my violin, you can find me sketching, baking, wake boarding, swimming or skiing.

Hi! I love reading and writing, and I can't wait to keep improving my creative writing skills! In my free time, I like to play the violin, cook, ski, wakeboard, swim, and do art projects.

The Fall of the Homo Sapien

We exist to coexist. And as a human being, that terrifies me. Nature is transparent, while humans design around it with perfection: Smooth lines, symmetry, and equilibrium. 

Even a single step outside forces us to cope with our greatest fears. Irregularity, and in insignificant little things that existed before us, no less! That rock over there? It will undoubtedly outlive you, and every person on planet Earth. And the tree in your backyard has at least thirty years on you, but could still take out half of your garage roof as it tumbles down without a second thought. The wind is going to keep gusting, and if you get lucky, hail will punch golf-ball-sized dents into your car roof at some point in your relatively short life.

The thing is, Mother Nature doesn't care. I am one person. A single, insignificant blob of cells out of billions more. You are, too. We all are. As humans, we are programmed with an insatiable desire for power. So we use those rocks to build foundations to live on; we cut those trees down to the root to clear land and build shelters around us. Shelters that allow us to cower from the gusting wind, from the pounding hail, and the terrifyingly raw environment that surrounds us. We take all of Mother Nature's power contrive it, mold it into perfect squares and level surfaces and shiny gadgets. Now we have it all below us. 

But it's all too much, too fast. We've robbed her of everything. We've spent it too quickly. We made a gamble with safety and won, but neglected to conserve our winnings. Soon, it will all be gone, and we will be fully exposed to her wrath. We are now dependent on the security of power, and when it is erased, we will beg for her mercy. But Mother Nature does not forgive. She will not cushion our fall from supremacy to the barren, skeletal Earth.