AnnaTypeWriter

Peru

" As a writer
you try to listen
to what others
aren't saying...
and write about
the silence "
- N.R. Heart

Ignorence is NOT Bliss

PROMPT: This I Believe

8

‘Ignorance is bliss’ – I don’t know who said this but they probably put pineapple on their now soggy pizza, and think Donald trump is the next messiah.

The google definition of Ignorance –
Lack of knowledge or information’ and, personally, what I think should be added
 ‘and an unwillingness to gain this knowledge or information’.

Ignorance is the reason as to why humans are zits on this green earth and why they are just naturally drawn to conflict. Whether this be conflict between people and nature, countries and their leaders, the cause of civil wars, the reason of a breakup, the explanation as to why my goldfish died – all because of ignorance.

Little Scalene didn’t stand a chance when she was brought in to my chamber – unknowing of the fact that my lazy ass would fail to feed her, and then complain to my parents that they never taught me how to feed her in the first place, even though I had google at my disposal as well as working fingers. Starvation is not a merciful death.

Ignorance is not bliss, not at all. 

When you go to Disney Land, you may not want to tell that hopeful kid eating blueberry ice-cream on the corner that Mikey Mouse over there isn’t actually an over-compensating happy rodent, but rather Charlie who has a bald spot in his 20’s and collects cans of Pringles in his mother’s basement. Yeah, maybe not the best idea at first glance.
On the other hand, when Charlie the Pringle Hoarder is leading the little boy by hand behind some suspicious dumpsters – you may have wished to tell him that not everyone is whom they may seem under a mask.

Not that I’m saying to ruin every kid’s childhood by telling them that the reason as to why your parents are broke is because they have to keep giving you money every month because your teeth are falling out faster than their pay checks – but, just keep in mind that next time your kids are in an area full of unidentified adults. 

The thing is, to some, being ignorant is a security blanket. One that when the night darkened and you realise how much closer those rolling clouds are – you scream and run under the excuse that you were ignorant the entire time. Its why, I think, that adding on ‘and an unwillingness to gain this knowledge or information’ to the definition of ignorance is a must. It’s the reason as to why there are so many problems in our environment, pollution, racism, sexism all because of the excuse that the attackers or bystanders where ignorant – and therefore innocent.
And the thing is – you can’t teach an ignorant person to learn, because they refuse too. No matter how much an environmental activist shouts at people for using cars instead of bikes – the busy workman will simply drive past muttering about crazed lunatic clogging up the roads. And then, when humanity realises their mistakes when the Amazon is nothing but blackened bark and obliterated culture, the busy workman will claim ignorance and mourn the death of its victim.
And this, this right here is what allows it to happen once more. Allowing the vicious cycle to commence again, because the attackers aren’t being punished, they’re now the victim as well – because they all hid under that blanket of ignorance. 

And my belief stands proud – that those who think it best to keep ignorant on topics that might scare them are down right cowards. Instead of facing the problem and overcoming, they instead wait for the storm to pass over and act like they slept through the hurricane.

And as I type this, I know I’m being a huge hypocrite. Worse than the people who claim ignorance, really. Because I know the definition of ignorance, I know the dangers behind it, I loathe the people whom claim it, and yet I still choose to ignore it. Disgusted with myself, really.

• September 2, 2018 - 6:23am (Now Viewing)

• JediKnightGirl

This is such a powerful piece. You weave together important issues and human faults while also admitting that you are ignorant at times too, and it really made me think about how we live. The first and last sentences were both amazing as well. Amazing job!

• Luna Lemon

This is incredible! I love the way you weaved this piece together: first starting off with the quote, then examples, and finally ending with the slightly ironic paragraph that tied the piece up beautifully. This was also a very creative idea for the prompt that I think everyone can at least relate to a little bit. This was really well written and amazingly done. Great job and keep writing!

• silentdroplets

wow the irony of the last paragraph really stood out to me. good job with this! i enjoyed this meaningful read.

• LackingASocialLife

BEST FIRST SENTENCE