Onion

Onion3102

I drink way too much tea (with three sugars might I add), I like hugs a lot & thesaurus.com happens to be my best friend. It almost seems like the older I get, the more introverted I get.

Whatever your thoughts are on this piece are, please do comment!

a downfall worthy of a king

2
Looming over me, the castle courtyard walls caught my breath. An overpowering stench of beer from the night before ruined the low hum of voices from the surrounding soldiers. The morning sun refused to shed any warmth onto my dewy coat, adding to the miserableness of the morning. Hoping for a distraction from the coldness of the tip of my nose, a sound so sudden and chill pierced the dampness of the moody atmosphere.

“What is that noise?”

I followed Seyton’s eyes as they turned reluctantly to meet Macbeth’s.
“It is the cry of women, my good lord,” he replied.
It was well known throughout the land that Macbeth was an ambitious man and I wasn’t too surprised when I overheard him explain to Seyton that he had forgotten what it felt like to be scared or feel fear. It’s almost funny to think that my king who once was as fragile as the very crystal he drank out of and now has become an emotionless man, hardened by a thirst for power.

It was only later when Seyton revealed that it was Lady Macbeth who was dead that really left Macbeth startled. Never before had I seen a man’s ego crawl into a hole so visibly that it made me squirm and wince out of sympathy for the damned soul. His once shiny amour now looking dull and lustreless in the cold further accentuated Macbeth’s slumped posture and fallen demeanour. Time seemed to slow as Macbeth’s emotionless glassy eyes swept over us; us staring at the scene with intent. Sighing, I noticed him muttering under his breath “Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow”.  An uncomfortable silence returned to the courtyard, Macbeth facing the heavens above. God only knows what the man was thinking, and I believe God was the only one who could save him from his fate.

It was the fast pattering of feet that interrupted the ominous silence. As a messenger approached, his footsteps slowed and fell heavily on the iced cobblestone. An exchange of words was all it took before Macbeth himself bellowed out in anguish, “Liar and slave!” The little man fell at Macbeth’s feet, continuing to mumble on about a moving grove. It was then that I noticed that Macbeth seemed to emit an ill-omened presence over the messenger. He drew himself tall, pulling his coat tighter around his chest, head now held high. But I could see clearly that this action wasn’t out of pride nor ambition; more accepting of a defeat even before any war had begun.

At least we’ll die with harness on our back,” he swallowed as we followed half-heartedly into the battle. 
Truth be told, I could see through his act all along. The man had a tendency to be over-dramatic at times and it was clear to see at this point that he had given up his pride and ambition, but not his honour. Too many times, I’ve pondered whether his story could have been told differently or whether this is fundamentally who man really is. I think fate was bound to get him at some point, but the downfall of Macbeth was not one I would have expected.

This is an adaption of Act 5, Scene 5 from Shakespeare's Macbeth written from the perspective of an observing soldier. I was hoping to highlight Macbeth's downfall, essentially the true turning point in his life... enjoy! 

• Onion3102

OMG HIIIIIII

That's not what I asked weanya

• Onion3102

I've written from the perspective of one of Macbeth's soldiers watching the entire scene.

Who are you