Mary Wall

Aspiring Author
Dancer
Bookdragon
Icecream Consumer
Daughter of the King
Dessert Craver
Homeschooler
Adventurer
Dreamer
Coffee Drinker
Fangirling over the Ranger Apprentice Series
ISFJ

'Writing a book is not an easy process nor is it always enjoyable, but it is one of life's most satisfying achievements.' ~Guy Kawasaki

I would love to read and review your pieces if you leave me a link! And any advice and suggestions you have for me are greatly appreciated.

I'm a highschooler with lots of siblings and way many ideas. It would take all of the empty notebooks that are laying around my room to hold all of my random ideas.

I'm pro-life and pro-sugar. No, seriously. Do not let me get near sugar. You will regret it for the rest of your life. I'm might too.

I wish I could say I am an athlete, but it would be a lie. I can't run to save my life, although I do enjoy sports.:)

The Beginning #loveorsomething

6
   When I first met Derrek, I thought I  hated him. I learned, over time, that sometimes we pretend to hate someone because we really like them. This was the situation in my case. I might have even said that I loved him, but then, that would be minimizing the whole thing.
    The first thing Derrek ever said to me was, " Were you the girl that punched Ali the other day?" 
    My mind whirled. I punched a lot of people. How was I supposed to know if I'd punched Ali? Later, I found out that Ali was his younger sister, and that I had punched her. That fight had been one of my favorite because it was an actual fight. Most of the time, I was the only one throwing fists and for anyone who fights, that is one of the most disappointing things ever.
     I hit Derrek too, the very next day. He called me pretty. As he lay on the locker hall's floor, holding his stomach, I struggled to get my temper under control. 
    " I'm not pretty," I growled. He smiled--- that charming smile that made half the school fall in love with him.
    " You are, you just won't believe it," he said, pulling himself to his knees. Without knowing why, I stayed. I could have walked away and the whole thing would have been forgotten. At least for me.
    I watched him stand, intrigued by his calm manner. 
    " I'm not pretty. Everyone knows that." I said. He shook his head. 
    " Trust me when I tell you, you're more beautiful than most people," he replied, looking straight into my eyes. I dropped my plain, dust brown eyes to the floor. Then I did what I should have done from the very first minute. I walked away. 

I dreaded the next day. I dreaded seeing Derrek again. I dreaded the looks I would get from all the girls who had made their jealousy plain to me yesterday. But I went anyway. I walked into my classroom, head down. I'd become a master at pretending to look at the floor while searching whatever room I am in. That what I was doing as I shuffled into class. I saw savage glares from just about every girl in the room. 
    The boys ignored me. Which was fine. I didn't care what they thought of me. I only cared what Derrek thought of me. I don't know when that happened. 
     I slumped down in my seat, waiting for class to start. Just as our teacher, Mrs. Fletcher, walked in, I saw Derrek come in. I diliberatly turned my head away. As the class began, I glanced at him. He was staring at me and flashed me a smile as I looked over at him. My eyes snapped back to the front of the room. They stayed there until class ended. 
    I rushed out of the room and to my next class before anyone could talk to me. In fact, I rushed to every class that day, trying to avoid Derrek. I did, for a while. 
    As I waited for the bus, I watched a bird flit through the sky. Then I heard a voice behind me. 
    " Do you really want to be left alone?"

As every story should, mine ended happily. Well, it hasn't ended yet, but the beginning ended happily. Now, I know I'm beautiful. I don't mean on the outside. I am how God made me, and that makes me beautiful, despite any blemishes I may have. That's what really matters. Not the makeup, or jewelry. My heart makes me beautiful.

• Victoria Penning

XD

• Mary Wall

Grr...

• Victoria Penning

No.

• Mary Wall

Are you satisfied now? Can we forget about Flight? :)

• Victoria Penning

This is amazing! You definitely have talent! Even though it went a little fast, the emotions that change in her are so real, and you did them so perfectly! I absolutely loved this!!!! :D

• Mary Wall

I guess I was thinking she was one of those confused bullies who doesn't want to be a bully, but doesn't know what else to do.

• AbigailSauble

This is a really sweet story! I love it. :D One note, though, I'm a little confused as to how someone with a good heart wants to punch people. ;) That's the only thing that seems just a little bit off in this, and yet, I suppose I can understand it.
    Well-written!

• Mary Wall

Thank you, muppet! I'm sorry it's a little fast. I was trying to get it done for a contest and couldn't spend a lot of time on it.:)

• muppet

the opener is great, and i love the bit about your character being uncertain if she’d punched ali or not. the pace is a little fast, so i’m a little confused on how she views derrek and if it was his words that made her find her beauty. but i love this! well done:)