Sophia DuBose

I've always loved stories. I love how honest writing is. You really can't hide. Words reveal more than you even realize. It's a risk to put your writing out there, especially in public forums like this, but it's vital if you wish to improve.

This a piece that was originally inspired by the #toalltheboys contest on Wattpad. I wrote this and ended up liking it enough to post it here for you guys read and review or like at your leisure.

My Maybe

10
You were the first. 
You were the first boy that ever sent my heart racing to new corners of my chest. The first that I texted way past midnight just hoping that you'd respond. Your compliments were the only ones that turned my cheeks into flaming forest fires. You were the first. 
The first boy I ever truly had a crush on.
    Before you, my crushes were shallow infatuations that were no deeper than my daydreams. Those guys were make-believe princes that were destined to save me from my fabricated towers. You were the first boy that was real. I didn't need you to be a prince. I just liked you. I liked the way your hair fell across your forehead, drawing attention to those wide green eyes of yours. I liked the way you sometimes grabbed my hand to drag me into your adventures. I liked how you challenged my practical and calculated world. 
    I liked it when our conversations turned into a volley of quick words and jabbing comments. I liked it when you took to far me then gathered me in your arms as an apology. I liked it when you would take me out to dinner with only and hours notice. I liked our impromptu road trips into the mountains so we could chase the stars.
    Your smile is still on my list of Top 5 Most Beautiful Things. To this day it makes my heart stop. Even though we've both dated different people at this point. Even though now we go to schools that are halfway across the country from one another. Even though we've never so much as kissed. I think of you often. 
    There was never anything really between us, just unspoken promises. Hands held on busses. Hugs stolen in hallways. Avoided phone calls from our parents when we were breaking curfew. Conversations that left "I like you" hanging in-between the lines. But neither of us have ever made the first move. We let our hearts wonder to bump against other peoples shields. Then wasn't our time. I don't think now is either.
    I'm not waiting for you. I don't think you're waiting for me. But I could want you. Maybe I already do.

You're my 'what if?'.
"What if I'd gone out on that rainy day like he wanted, and let him take my hand and kiss me? Maybe I wouldn't have minded the rain then. Maybe then the thunder wouldn't have seemed so horrible.”

You're my maybe.
Maybe...
A part of me wishes I'd ignored the water and the lighting and let you pull me into the storm.

1

• luluwrites111

I love this! It rang true to me, because I have had an experience exactly like this..I love the imagery! (PS My piece about this is caled Cinnamon) :)

• Johanna

This is beautiful!

• Sophia DuBose

Thank you both for your kind comments! I'm glad you liked it!

• Kahasai

This is gorgeous. Well done.

• JediKnightGirl

I love this. I've felt these exact feelings before and you put them into words beautifully.