Rain and tea

Grace Mary Potts

My life is comprised of inconsistencies, daydreaming, procrastination techniques and occasionally, writing.

I wouldn't quite call myself a novice in writing but as there is certainly room for improvement, I would very much appreciate any comment you can provide, particularly if it's the constructive kind.

Drip

2

The faucet it leaking.

That’s the first thing I notice when I enter the kitchen on Monday morning.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Well that’s just bloody well fantastic isn’t it?

I sigh, resignation resonating like a pen dropping in an empty classroom. Then I drop my school bag off of my shoulder and move to the sink, where I stop, my eyebrows pulling together in a frown. The pale light of an early day’s spilling through the window; catching on the tap. I tilt my head and watch it glint in the sunshine.

Drip.

“Oh shut up you useless – thing!” I yell, exasperation spilling into my words like – well, like water from a bloody tap.

I jimmy the knobs a few times, pulling them tight until my hands ache and cramp. I wonder if it’ll do anything if I wiggle the faucet. I shrug and give it a go.

1 second. 2 seconds…. 6 seconds.

I breathe a sigh of relief after a minute passes without the plop of water falling against the metallic basin. I lumber over to the bench, grab my school bag and move to the-

Drip.

I clench my fists. Grit my teeth.

“Oh stuff it. I’m going to school.”

And then I slam the door behind me.

• December 17, 2014 - 2:09am (Now Viewing)

• Paige

I can feel the frustration... Love it