Peer Review by SomeFormOfWriting (United States)

January 2018 Vignettes

By: Lauren Nelson

January 1, 2018: My fingers press into the strings and grip the bow a bit tighter than acceptable as I practice my violin for the first time in a while. My connection to the instrument is magnetic; I will always return to it, despite whatever has kept me away. Making music through this vessel feels so natural, reminding me of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s flow, the way one achieves self actualization. My friends will come and go --as they have-- but the violin will remain a constant companion. I blow the rosin off the matte wood surface before the horsehair meets the strings yet again.

January 14, 2018: I sit in Sunday school, consumed by the thoughts that have been swirling around in the cyclone of my brain since noon yesterday. My brain has been going the existential route pretty often now, but today, it’s there. I sit, trying to make sense of it all, and the pen hits the paper. How often do I revert to poetry?
La Caída Del Mundo
Deseo una vida sin dolor;
No pienso que lo voy a encontrar.
¿Es éste como la vida seré?
Perdí la esperanza que tuve.
¿Puedo volver a los días de luz
Y vivir antes de la caída?

January 28, 2018: The page is covered in black, and I’m slightly intimidated. Sight-reading professional repertoire is not something most people would enjoy, but then again, I am always different. The first run through is certainly questionable; the recording has the whole suite in a rubato feel, but the rhythm still needs work. Slowly but surely, with the incessant beep of the metronome, the rhythm solidifies. There are few things more satisfying than this process: a lump of clay takes shape. Even the most daunting of pieces on the oboe can become manageable. Yes, it’s a horrid instrument, but it’s my horrid instrument.

Since November 1, 2018, I have written a 100-word journal every day. Here are some of my favorites. 

I liked how you expressed your feelings towards your instruments and music as a key and necessary part of your life; I could really feel your passion. Also, I liked how you went into Spanish for part of it (even if my translation wasn't perfect).

This had fewer vignettes than the November and December pieces, T^T.

I can feel your thoughts, passion, and love just by reading this vignettes; I feel like I've gotten to know you better through reading these. This was a review of the MyFormOfWriting Competition way back when, sorry it took me so long to review!