Tumblr static tumblr static  640

Andy

Writing is but one of the ways a quiet mind can scream at the World for its stupidity, but the only way an Introvert can truly open the eyes of the World and prove it.
- From an Introvert's Mind to an Extrovert World.

I'm one of the most introverted people you will ever meet, so if I don't warm up immediately, its not your fault.

I Never Thought I Would Know Her Name Again.

0
Christmas Eve was the first time I saw my Uncle Josh in almost nine years. After divorcing from his second wife and taking one of their five kids with him, my Grandmother invited him to my Aunt's.

My father was not pleased with the party. My Uncle brought one gift with him. It wasn't for my cousin Jacob, the two year old didn't have any memory of that man as it was; it wasn't for me, his sixteen year old niece he hadn't seen in years. No, it was for his son. Many would be upset about not getting a gift from a relative they hadn't see in a long time, but I wasn't. At this point in time any feelings towards my uncle had gone numb. I could have cared less about getting something from him. But here's the thing: I only remember one present from my Uncle.

When I was five I remember Christmas Eve was at my Grandmother's, when my Uncle was still with his first wife, when my Uncle still came to family gatherings, and when my Aunt was still just dating her husband. I remember that stupid, golden lab puppy he put in my lap with a red ribbon around its neck. I remember the fear of dogs I developed because that dog became twice my size in less than half a year. I remember having to give the dog back and that's the only present I know I got from him. 

When he first cut himself off from the family I was sad; I liked my Uncle and couldn't comprehend why he stopped being near family. And over time I didn't think much about not receiving anything from him anymore as I got older, my father growing more bitter towards him and myself growing more indifferent. But when Christmas Eve came last month and we were driving home, while my parents quietly talked about what happened I realized something that hurt more than it should have-

I don't remember ever receiving a birthday card from my Uncle. I thought back for a long time and I don't remember getting a card from him and that stung. You would think, that your Uncle would send you something, even if it was just a card, for your birthday, but I can't remember a time when he did. That night when I took my dog for a walk I thought about it out loud and started crying. I started crying because I realized he didn't care about his only niece's sixteenth birthday. His blood niece that he has seen before, he sends nothing. But my Great Aunt who lived in Missouri sent me a Christmas present. My Great Aunt who's never physically met me, sent me something and my Uncle who's known I've exsisted since I was born didn't even acknowledge my birthday. 
    The man married twice, and I haven't seen his first wife or her two kids in almost the same amount of time since I last saw my Uncle. He and his second wife raised five kids, and I remember the names of two. But it kills me that I can't remember the names of his first family.

But on Christmas Eve I learned his first wife's name again after he left. My Aunt and my parents talked while my cousin slept and I focused on my kindle half listening to their conversation until my Aunt brought up his first wife. When I walked my dog later that night I smiled because I finally had a name, of one of them. After almost nine years of nothing I had a name.

I never thought I would know her name again but I have it. My Uncle's first wife's name was Kerry.