The Great Gabs-by

Salutations!!!

Still a child
Pianist
Cat lover
Avid pen sketcher
Classical music lover
Literature!
Lives to eat
Sends virtual hugs frequently; so here's one for you ~(^v^)~
(and smiles :))))))

PLEASE READ THIS REAL SLOW SO THAT EVERY LITTLE BIT SINKS INTO YOU PROPERLY. Wouldn't want you missing anything out. Enjoy!!! and feedback always appreciated:))

Do You Ever? #novelistofthefuture

22
Sometimes, when the sun scintillates brighter than it should, do you think your eyes change their hue with all the beams refracting against every corner? When the air is so rigid the dust motes seem to spark flames, do you stop to stare? When the water is so still you see another person staring back at you, do you reach out to touch the surface thinking that this encounter won't ripple?

Sometimes, do you ever?

Do you ever get the feeling akin to your toes tingling in a prickle of déjà vu? Akin to walking just one step forward. Hearing just one last word before a sentence closes. Feeling the last thing you touched. Then, suddenly, the world's tints are contrasted, saturation at full mast. All sounds morph into blurred audio tapes, stringing into fragmented vibrations so low you can barely hear them. It's as if you're submerged in a lake the colour of your burning memory, submerged in what soon burns your eyes into a bright, white light. Yet, an even brighter, much whiter light coruscates and rips through your mind like a rogue star, creating a fuzzy image of the last one step you took. The last word you heard. The last thing you touched. Then, it disappears in a flash, swifter than it came. The only souvenir that you are gifted with is the brief tenderness from having seen a dream in a wakeful state.

And when the day rises from the East again, that souvenir will collect dust and you will forget.

Do you ever feel as if your blood is helium, soaring higher than the skies of a density chart? You're like a balloon, released upon inflation. Released upon your birth. You continue rising and rising and it never stops. Was the sky always this cerulean blue? Are the clouds as fluffy as cotton candy? There is always a chance to reach out and skim across its hazelnut white. And one day, you do. You find out clouds aren't fluffy. They're just water-----wet and holding the weight of nothingness. You find out the sky isn't blue. It's just some illusion you can't grasp onto really well. Something about light and refraction and angles you don't want to know. What good is it to know the stone-cold facts that sliced through your truth?

Or were they just castles on clouds, fantasies that purely purred to a dulcet dream?

Do you ever feel a fiery, devil-may-care pinprick against your heart? The kind that urges you to do outlandish acts that make adults cry words spiked with animadversion. You could stay at the rooftop and slide into class after missing the whole day of classes despite being a straight-A student. You could spend everything on a wall of paint and buckets, splashing the nearest wall in the alley with your art. You could walk on a translucent flooring storeys high, blasting music, blocking out the rest of the world. You could walk on the beach for a long time, and when the sun goes down and it's almost dark, you could hold the hands of some stranger who's all alone and tell them that they are loved. And if they think you're drunk, tell them they don't know a thing. You could do this, the recklessness raging you forward. However, the pressure gets lower as you get higher. The air in the balloon expands and after seeing the sky and the clouds, you pop without a sound. You fall all the way down into the tiny oblong of grass in the largest spread of wide empty space-----a piece of land without use.

All the rash urges ebb away.

Do you ever wonder if part of this isn't real? That you're whispering in a dream and coaxing a nebulous hue from your memory so much so that the wisp of reminiscence becomes artificial? You don't feel like this body is yours. Your best friend can sit beside you and you take one long glance at the features of a well-known shadow but you don't recognise it. Those features of a sketched physiognomy registers in your head and you know who it is but it doesn't feel real. Then, you realise gradually that you do recognise your friend and the one you can't recognise is yourself. You've been so washed out by the world your own face isn't within your ken.

The moment plays over countless times until déjà vu thins away into shapeless air. Until the balloon doesn't come back down from sky and the clouds. Until there is nothing left to pinprick against your heart.

Until you are only left to wonder about the times you asked yourself:

Did I ever?
Despite the imagery and beauty of the senses, this prose is mainly about being so bleached and washed out by society that we start losing our innocence and wonder that children usually have. We stop wondering about things. We stick to cold, hard facts that make the world go round. We stop the imagination that we once had when we were little. We don't stop to see, think or ponder. Even the slightest things like déjà vu can give people the feels and others, nothing at all. And all we can ask ourselves in the end is 'Did I ever'. Was there a time when I wasn't what I am now? Was there a time when I could stop to admire something small and insignificant to the working world? Was there a time when I had something to really liver for? Did I ever?

• The Great Gabs-by

Sure, thanks for asking:)

• Samina

Hello No Problem but if possible could you please email it(saminaparveen2005@gmail.com).

• The Great Gabs-by

Thank you:))

• fatpanda

I admire your word choice in this piece, it enthralled me right from the start to the very end. The concept itself is pretty delicate, and I feel that you've done a good job approaching it and conveying it as you want. I loved reading this piece. Can't wait for more!

• The Great Gabs-by

Thank youu:)

• buddingauthor

WOW.
    This one word is perfect to sum up this piece. This is amazing! I mean, the way you capture the emotions and a message and imagery, its awesome!! I'm sorry, I don't have new adjectives to describe this piece, but I absolutely love it.

• The Great Gabs-by

Ye haha. The loss of childlike innocence and hopefulness especially:))

• hi i'm jackson ;)

OH MY GOSH!!! THIS WAS AMAZING! judging from your entering it as the 1rst prompt, i assume that your greatest fear is being the same as everyone else? or is it losing all of your childlike innocence? not being able to see all of the good in life?

• The Great Gabs-by

Thank you:)

• .amelia.

Your writing is a powerful yet relatable piece. I love the way you paint the picture for your readers, pressing them to read on. Keep on writing! You are really talented.

• The Great Gabs-by

Thank you so much:)) It means a lot to mee!! The vocabulary will come naturally as long as you love to continuously find synonyms of everyday words. You also start to find out that many synonyms actually mean different things. They could be in the same category but in different degrees and are used differently. They could also have double meanings (one of my pieces Euphonious Rhapsodies is an example of this). And yepyep, keep writing. The only way to improve is to continuously do what you love and learn from others in the process:)) Once again, thank you so much for commenting and writing a review for this piece. I really do appreciate it:))

• Kahte

Btw I shall now write a review

• Kahte

I am very impressed. Like WOW! I think reading work like yours heightens my expectations of my own writing. That's what your's does. Never have I read a peer's writing as Imaginative, beautiful, serious, flowing and I need more vocabulary lessons. Keep writing... forever! I have now seen writing that maybe one day ( In the far far future) I can live up to.

• The Great Gabs-by

Thank you so muchhhh!!! It means a lot to meee:))

• camlily

I submitted the review!! I'm so sorry that it took me so long. This was an amazing piece and I hope that it gets the recognition that it deserves!! You are so talented :)

• The Great Gabs-by

Thank you so muchhh!!:))

• megzegzoo

this honestly legitimately made me tear up oh my gosh. this is so relatable and perfectly written and my favourite thing i've read this month. major kudos

• Luna Lemon

Np! Love ya too :) <3

• The Great Gabs-by

Awwwwww thanks so much!!!!!!! I really appreciate it. Love you:))

• Luna Lemon

I'm writing a review on this so this comment will be pretty short. This was INCREDIBLE. The idea of us slowly losing our innocent thoughts and wondering, "Did I ever" was really well done. I read this very slow(like you asked) sometimes rereading paragraphs at a time and I never got bored. I'll elaborate more about what I love about this piece in the review so stay tuned for that. Great job and keep writing:)