omicron7889

Hong Kong

Always sleep-deprived
Craving spicy barbecue chips
I like rhymes and pizza
Boomshakalakah

Also I hope you're having a good day :)

SO. Hello there. How are you guys. Tell me, what is your stance on peanut butter?

To Be Alive

Life is strong. Yet life is fragile. I was quite young when that lesson first sunk into me, and I can remember it happening like it had just occurred. This story is one of sudden realisation and discovery and this anecdote, dear reader, revolves around my younger brother.
    My younger brother and I have an age gap of six years. Meaning I was six years old when he was born. And at six years old you have already a pretty good memory.
    Now I want you to picture this: you’re sitting on the white couch at home with your older brother. There is a quiet anticipation slithering through the air, and you feel your chest go thump thump faster than usual. You fiddle with the strawberry shaped button on your long-sleeved shirt with twitchy fingers, and out of the corner of your eye you notice that your older brother is fidgeting. Because you’re both waiting. Waiting to finally hold your younger brother for the first ever time. You’ve seen him a few days ago, when you both came home from school out of breath because you ran the whole way, rushing over to your parents’ room to peer into the wooden crib. And you had both stared at this little pint-sized speck of a baby, awestruck.
    Now you finally get to hold him for the first time, and for some reason you worry that you’ll mess up and possibly drop him. Apprehension makes a wave a saliva fill up your mouth as you picture yourself holding this one week old infant. How heavy will he be? Will he wake up if he’s sleeping? What do you do if he suddenly grabs your finger? You don’t know the answer to any of those questions crashing around in your head. So you wait.
    Aeons pass before your parents carry your brother from their room to the living room, and you stand up in excitement, yet mingled with some degree of nervousness because you don’t know much about this new human being in your life after all. Your mother approaches you, holding a bundle of blankets with a baby wrapped inside. Holding your new brother. Your. New. Brother.
    You will never get tired of looking at him.
    Red and wrinkled, with tiny fists and a scrunched up face. You loved him from the moment you first laid eyes on him. Your mouth curls upwards in a smile because you see him look so peaceful and relaxed, tiny perfect lips to accompany a small flawless nose. His eyes were shut tight, like thick curtains drawn over a crystal clear window. After a couple minutes of marvelling at this child your mother tells you to take a seat on the couch, and you do. “Here,” she tells you. “hold him.” The bundle is carefully placed into your care, and you are immediately surprised by the weight of him. For such a small creature, he certainly was heavier than expected.
    A little whine peeps out of his mouth and you hold him tighter, instinct making you want to rock him and whisper calming words to him. And that’s when it hits you. Because you just realised full-on that what you are holding, what you are cradling so gently in your arms is a human being. This child will grow up, will learn to utter words, to walk, to ride a bike, to read, to write, make friends, graduate, get a job and possibly start a family. You realise that this little red and wrinkled baby is a pulsating, living being whose life could vanish in mere seconds, direly contrasted to the rest of your family: solid, steady and there.
    There was something completely indescribable about holding on to my new brother. A feeling unlike any other in the world, that I know one can only ever feel on a handful of occasions. It was like a mixture of love, joy, wonder, amazement and just that little touch of magic to make the moment itself seem alive. And to think that I was related to him? That we would both be growing up side by side, just at our own different paces was such an amazing thought the only thing I could do was stare at his little sleeping face. I handed him back when it was my older brother’s turn to hold him, and I could see the same fascination that I had felt install itself onto his face.
    That day was years ago, but I never forgot the lesson that I learnt: That life was at the same time an unchangeable part of the world, yet it could be snuffed out faster than a birthday candle on a one year old’s cake. It makes you reflect on just how amazing it is that you yourself are alive, that your own candle has not been blown out yet, that you’ve managed to survive and thrive for this long. And finally it makes you appreciate every moment you have, either alone or with the people you love. It makes you appreciate the people around you. The people with whom you’re acquainted with, or the people with whom you’re not.
    It makes you appreciate life.

• omicron7889

"i don't want to go"

• aggressivebackflip

Mr Stark I don't feel so good

• omicron7889

Thanks Harley!

• Harley

Wow. It warmed my heart :) Well done omicron7889

• omicron7889

And together, we shall rule this world in the name of PEANUTBUTTERNESS

• Kahasai

Make way for the Peanut Butter Emperor!

• omicron7889

1. Thank you for calling my piece beautiful it makes my motivation soar
    2. YOU LIKE CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER TOO??? I asked because I was curious on what the gastronomic preferences of the WTW community were. And also because I wanted to find some peanut butter lovers and foster a mutual love for peanut butter as we plan our next move to take over the world and replace every sauce and spread that exists with PEANUT BUTTERRRRRR

I'm kidding for the last part of course

(or am I... dun dun dun)

;)

• Kahasai

I really like peanut butter. I don't eat it often. My favorite is peanut butter chocolate. It's dangerous to have any peanut butter chocolate close when I'm hungry.

Why do you ask?

• Kahasai

This is so beautiful.

• omicron7889

Thank you! :)

• ALangford

loved this - really compelling and well-written. well done!

• omicron7889

I slapped you... with beauty?? Well okay, I'll take that.

• nezi_nes

It's like how you feel after being slapped in the face, there's a moment right after that where you don't feel anything, except this is like being slapped with beauty and I don't know what to say or feel

• omicron7889

sorry :))))

• nezi_nes

I'm just staring

• nezi_nes

I cannot think of anything else but this now, that's what you've done to me