AbigailSauble

Child of God
Pro-life
Photographer
Marine sister
Blogger
English Country Dancer
Dessert enthusiast
Sun-Child
Reader
Musician
Artist
ISFJ-A
Wind Chaser
People person
Movie quoter
Tea drinker
Airsofter
Cat lover
Youtuber
ASL

' "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD.' ~ Isaiah 54:10

Proud USMC sister!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"Most people never meet their heroes;
I grew up with mine." ♥

“And the one good thing about being down here, is that we’ll save on funeral expenses.” ~ Puddleglum (The Silver Chair)

If you're not ready to die, you're not ready to live. ~ Ron DeJong

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~ Winnie the Pooh

I'm Home

It was an ordinary day. An almost-purple haze of smoke lingered in the summer sky from surrounding wildfires. Our American flag hung discouraged from its creaking metal pole. The lawn was dry and prickly with lack of water.
My small bedroom smelled strongly of lavender. I’d left several bouquets to dangle from my ceiling over the past month, and now with cut pieces of green cloth, and a needle with brown thread, I turned my wait into sachets.
In and out, in and out. I stuck the needle repetitiously through. The mundane process caused my mind to zone out.
In out, in out. Draw the bag closed. In out, in out. Snip the thread.
“Abby! Abby! Joshua’s home!” My younger sister’s excited screams startled me from my thoughts, and I forgot about the sachet.
“Are you sure?” I glanced at my wristwatch. My older brother wasn’t supposed to get home from North Carolina until tonight.
“Yes! Come downstairs, quick!” Her feet made a happy pattering sound as she tore down the carpeted stairway.
My heart sped up a little. He’s finally back! Seven months was far too long for me to have seen my military brother.
I ran downstairs after my sister, whose eyes were wide with excitement.
“Where is he?” My glance ricocheted around the living-room. No 6’2” Marine to be seen.
“Outside with mom.” Lydia pressed herself against the window, beaming.
Peering out behind her, a crease lined my forehead as I realized that the person hugging mom tightly was not Joshua.
I did a double-take. My heart-rate accelerated with disbelief and hope. No, it can’t be. He’s on the other side of the world.
Then he stepped back from my mom, and I knew that my suspicions were utterly correct.
“It’s not Joshua, it’s Caleb!” I threw the door open and stepped up into the firm hold of my brother. The brother who had been mistaken for my twin on several occasions. The brother who I hadn’t seen for a year. The brother who I thought I wouldn’t see for another twelve months.
Euphoric tears laced my eyes.
“You’re back, I can’t believe you’re back.” I whispered, standing on my tip-toes, my arms around his neck.
He hugged me like he didn’t want to let go. Like if he did, he might lose me forever.
“I’m back, Abby.” He stepped back reluctantly to look at me. I think I saw his beautiful brown eyes glistening.
“I’m home.”

• August 21, 2018 - 7:39pm (Now Viewing)

• Victoria Penning

I almost cried! This is so perfect! The emotions coming from the different people are so strong and realistic! I'm so glad that you were able to live this moment. :)