Acrystalpartridge

Crys Partridge

I've lived in three countries so far and hope to further travel the world in order to gain the depth I need for the stories I really want to write someday - the stories I'm practicing for now.

Does it make sense? Can you tell what is fact and what is made up? Is the speaker likable or not?

Liam on the Artificial Eye

PROMPT: FACT

0
Visible light is only a tiny portion of the spectrum of electromagnetic waves. Infrared light has just too low of a frequency for us to see, and then there are communication waves that are still being experimented with in the Nation. If my father were to introduce to them all his findings, they would leap forward decades of scientific advancement, if they even considered listening to a scientist from one of the ‘underdeveloped, primitive island communities’. (I brought real history and science books and newspapers to my world studies class so the kids would understand more about how information is shared in the Nation and most of the material was completely laughable! The science was basic and we burned the newspapers after finding three ridiculously exaggerated articles about slave trade, island schooling systems, and statistics of sunken ships due to storms.)
Regardless of whether or not anyone would listen, Father has no interest in sharing his research for the sake of bettering the world, so this finding stays with me unless I choose to pass it on. And by stays with me, I mean literally. My eyes were fitted and adjusted since before I could walk. For a while I could see heat, which allowed me to walk around in the dark without bumping into people. That was very handy in nighttime games. I was like a snake, sensing out its victims by their body heat.
Then for two months I couldn’t see anything, and after that my vision returned to what seemed like normal. In reality, my second vision had changed from infrared light to far longer wavelengths. I don’t mean communication waves - I mean waves which have longer wavelengths than communication wavelengths and thus usually remain undetected and hidden among infrared light waves.
Every living, thinking animal gives off heat, which is infrared light. Their heat can be detected, but the thought waves, which are in the same area, have never been noticed by anyone besides me.
But don’t let me get ahead of myself. I can only clearly see the thought waves of one person, and this person is my half brother, Jon, younger by 10 years. After he was born, he received a mechanical memory device, settled in the back area of his brain. It isn’t just memory that it controls; besides photographic memory, he also has good deductive and calculation skills.
The point is, his brain does not emit thought waves for anything that the device takes care of, which leaves mainly emotions. Since there is less interference, those wavelengths are more pronounced and detailed, and, having watched him grow up and tutored him for several years, I can read his emotions better than naiads can read ocean currents. He hates me, by the way, but I don’t need to see his thought waves to know that. I push him the hardest out of all the children in my classes, which is completely fair because he has the capacity to be smarter than all of them put together. Why waste that to have the kid like me?
an article written by a fictional character in a fictional world.

• December 26, 2015 - 5:23am (Now Viewing)