Sophia DuBose

I've always loved stories. I love how honest writing is. You really can't hide. Words reveal more than you even realize. It's a risk to put your writing out there, especially in public forums like this, but it's vital if you wish to improve.

I tried to capture my life in numbers (it's a lot harder than I thought). I love any and all feedback!

How Long a Sister's Love Lasts

PROMPT: Subtotals

13
24th of September, 2000: the birth date
2: The number of girls born on that snowy morning  
9:30 and 9:32 am: the time between the twins arrival as they were pulled from their mother's stomach 
2 pounds 16 ounces: the wight of the first girl brought into the world, Eliza
1 pound 14 ounces: the wight of her sister, Sophia
minutes: the time it took for the two girls to become inseparable 
36 hours: the time it took before Eliza had her first heart failure
3: the number of times they charged the paddles before she came back
48 hours: the time between Sophia's birth and her transferal to another hospital for heart surgery
4 months: the time the parents had to wait before they could bring their children home
1 year: the time it took for the girls to turn into two strong, healthy, young girls 
months: the amount of time it took for the twins to begin to communicate among themselves
1 1/2: the time it took before the girls learned to speak
600: the number of fights the girls had 
4,000: the number of smiles shared
57: the number of stories Sophia shared with Eliza 
57: the number of books Sophia planned to write
38: number of voice recordings of those stories the girls made on their mother's phone
50: the number of time the girls fell into the creek running by their house
1,800: number of wild raspberries they picked over the years
200: the number of times Sophia crawled into her sister's bed after a nightmare 
4,038: the number of nights the girls stayed up late reading to one another and talking 
2,048: the number of ballet classes attended 
1: the number times the girls auditioned for the Nutcracker and Eliza got in while Sophia did not
0: the number times of Sophia complained about it
1: number of boys Sophia thought had a crush on her
26: the number of boys that actually had a crush on her
1,046: the number of times the girls listened to the Harry Potter books on tape
523: the number of time the girls held each other and whispered 'at least that'll never happen to us' as they listened to the death of one of the Weasley twins
307: the number of times the girls woke up to the sound of their parents yelling
1 year: the time the divorce took to finalize 
15 years: how long their parents had been together
12 years: the time the twins had together 
12 minutes: the time it took for Eliza's entire world to be ripped apart 
31st of May, 2013: the day Sophia died
                                                                Infinitely: how long a sister's love lasts           

• August 11, 2018 - 12:16am (Now Viewing)

• Christy Wisdom

That was amazing! I'm really sorry to hear that your sister died, this piece was so, as the other writers said, heartbreaking. I can really tell how much you loved her.

• Proverbs 12:18

I'm speechless. That was amazing. You did an amazing job!

• AbigailSauble

Aw . . . . . this is so sweet. I can tell how much you loved your sister.
    I have a younger sister who feels like my twin sometimes. ;)
    And I think it's super sweet and selfless of you to use your sister's name so that her dream can come true. :)
    God bless!

• Sophia DuBose

So I have actually written a piece with the same theme for the Personal Narrative competition if you guys would like to check it out :) It’s titled How Stories Saved Me

• Sophia DuBose

• HyperDucks815

I agree with the other comment. This has a great hook and a heartbreaking end, but its beautiful.

• janice

I'm so sorry to hear that. You are a beautiful writer, and I think this would make a wonderful idea for the Personal Narrative Competition.