Abby Walker

This writing is for you.

I am the Treasure Here

5
I spent years of my life trying to kill the dragon inside my brain. The doctors gave me swords and knives in pretty orange bottles, and when it still didn't die, they gave me maces and spears as well. Online forums told me that there was no shame in struggling with the beast as long as I kept driving it back into the dark, as long as I never stopped fighting. But for all of the armor I built around myself and for all the times I reassured myself that this monster was an enemy I could beat, it never felt like I was winning. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with dread in my stomach, terrified that I would be the subject of the first story where the knight fails to slay the dragon.

But then, the unthinkable.

They never tell you that it's all about perspective, that maybe you don't feel comfortable playing the knight for a reason. I realized that I was not destined to be the one that kills the dragon because I was the treasure it wanted to protect. When I looked past its teeth and ferocious exterior, I saw the beauty burning at its core. It tried its hardest to keep me safe, to help me escape the things that wanted to cause me harm. Even when it gave me discomfort, I looked into its yellow eyes and saw the good intentions there.

And so I fell in love with the dragon inside my brain.

• July 24, 2018 - 12:53am (Now Viewing)

• omicron7889

The imagery and symbolism here is wonderful! I really enjoyed reading this. :)