Luna Lemon

My name is Luna Lemon (Or at least my pseudonym is). My favorite book is Harry Potter and my favorite show is Doctor Who. I also love the Lunar Chronicles, Hunger Games, LOTR, and Percy Jackson. I enjoy writing poems, novels, short stories and more!

Feel free to write a review about anything you like or anything you'd like me to work on. Thanks!

The Ocean

PROMPT: The World Anew

11
    The sky was grey, but I didn't care. With sand stuck between my toes, I trudged on. Rain crept behind us, but I needed to see it.
    The ocean.
    On the plane the ocean had struck my five-year-old mind as amazing. A great mass of water with creatures I had only seen in movies. Crystal clear waters with colorful fish, lively reefs, and maybe even mermaids. But as I turned my head away from my sand swept footprints, I nearly stopped in my tracks.
    The water was not crystal blue, but a sharp grey. Its waves thrashing randomly like the smoke of a blown out candle. The waves seemed to roar like wild animals; tearing each other apart. Lightning flashed behind us, thunder rolling in. I held my dad's hand tighter. The sand suddenly cold beneath my feet.
    I didn't go in the ocean that day.

But, the next day was sunny. The clouds were a soft white, hardly even wisps in the blue sky. My family dragged me to the beach as I whimpered in my purple bathing suit that I didn't plan on using.
    I tentatively stepped into the sand, surprised at the warmth. I dug my feet farther down giggling as they completely disappeared. But then, I lifted my head up. I was again caught off guard by the sight of it.
   This time, the water was still grey, but also had hints of blue. The waves no longer fought against each other. They almost seemed to sway in the wind creating smooth ripples. I watched as the waves slowly inched towards my feet; white foam tickling my toes.
    My dad once again took my hand as he walked into the shallow water; just a few inches ahead of me. 
    I followed.
    For a few seconds, everything went silent. The wind stopped. My breath seized. The waves rushed towards us. I squeezed my eyes shut as the water reached my feet; the sudden cold sending chills up my body. But as quick as the waves came, they rushed back; leaving the sand wet beneath my feet as I felt my breaths return. My eyes fluttered open. My heart beating a mile a minute. A smile escaped my lips.

For hours I wanted to sit and look at the horizon. The way the sun set on the calm water and spilled bright paint across the surface. I couldn't believe that something that was once so violent, could be so calming. It was as if the ocean was born again, to only make one little girl smile.

• Luna Lemon

THANKS SO MUCH @Kahasai! Your comment just made my day:)

• Kahasai

Wow. This is all vivid, emotional description. It reminds me of the times I've gone to the ocean. You describe it so well. This story ... It's alive in my mind. Nothing is left forgotten.

• Luna Lemon

That's amazing @Riley Noel! Thanks so much for the comment and I'm glad little five-year-old me could make you feel like you were seeing the ocean again;)

• Riley Noel

This whole scene was absolute perfection! I could truly feel the innocence of a little five year old you, and how the ocean was nothing like you thought. You allowed me to walk with you and feel everything you felt, it was like I was experiencing the ocean all over again!

• Luna Lemon

That's so sweet of you @The Great Gabs-by! That's cool that you saw yourself as the protagonist. Thanks:)

• The Great Gabs-by

It was real vivid. I love the way you paint moving pictures like this. It's almost as if I could stand where the protagonist is. Beautiful!!

• Luna Lemon

That's so cool @nezi_nes! Thanks so much for the feedback:)

• nezi_nes

Wow, I could imagine the girl and the waves so vividly in my mind I could almost smell it...

• Luna Lemon

Thanks @Paperbird!

• paperbird

This is really good!