Image

Tia Lea

Young writer, gardener and professional loner

Critism is welcomed. I strive to improve my writing skills in any way possible so reviews are defiantly appreciated!

Beauty

1

From the age of 5 or younger girls are exposed to this idea of beauty. As little girls we expect to grow up to be Barbie, or one of the Disney princesses who are stick thin and look as if they have never binge eaten, and admit it, we’ve all done it at one point or another in our lives. If you ask a preschooler to draw a picture of themselves they will try to make it as accurate as they can. (When I say try, I really mean try) They won’t make their hair longer than they believe it to be, they won’t add on layers and layers of makeup and won’t change their features because at that point in their lives society hasn’t given them the idea that they have to change themselves to be beautiful.

When I was in about grade 4 once again we had to do a self-portrait. This time I saw my friends adding in earrings, and other jewelry not that that’s bad. At the end of the lesson when we hung our oil-pastel creations up on the wall what I saw confused me. My friend who had plain brown hair, now saw herself with long flowing hair with a blue streak in the front.  My friends now had bright pink lipstick, blush that were in perfect circles and colorful eye shadow up to their eyebrows. I remember looking back and forth and being confused.

In the 6th grade we had school dances. Where the upper school danced in the school hall to cheesy music that no one really liked, with 20 teachers watching us at all times. Each dance would have a theme and you were expected to dress up. I showed up and felt very strange being the only one not wearing as much jewelry as physically possible and looking like I had paint splatters on her face. I was told, “This is how the older girls dress” and slowly I was sucked in. When I went over to friends’ houses we would dress up in their sisters’ dresses and put more makeup on then a Kardashian. It wasnt bad, but I didn't understand why they did it. Eventually I moved away from those people who constantly worried over their looks and found some new friends.

As teens we watch the latest movies and sometimes wonder why the girls in the films don’t look like us. It’s because most of ‘teens’ in films are portrayed by a 20-something year old woman. You can’t look like the teens in the movies because they aren’t even teenagers themselves. I watch every day as girls shove some fruit in their water bottles and call it ‘detox’ not even understanding what the word means. On weekends they take that chance to cake on the makeup, and dress in the highest of heels. Girls are going on extreme diets and spending every waking hour exercising, fueling themselves with the desire to be like Barbie and the princesses.

• November 26, 2014 - 12:31am (Now Viewing)