paperbird

This is my personal summary of the amazing theory by Jon Negroni. None of this was written or added to by me. This piece is a bit lengthy and I can understand if no one wants to read it. I originally just wrote it for the satisfaction on Google docs figured it was worth publishing on this site. If you did read it, let me know what you think! I'd also love feedback on the narrative, if it was too slow or too fast or didn't make sense. Let me know :)

A Summary Of The Pixar Theory

0
    The Pixar Theory is a fan-made theory, originally authored by Jon Negroni, that suggests that every Pixar movie is part of the same universe and that they all coexist on one giant timeline.  This timeline starts with The Good Dinosaur and ends with Monsters Inc. (or Brave, depending on how you look at it).  This is my summary of this amazing and interesting theory.
    For the record, I did not write or edit this theory in any way, and, as I said, it is all made in reference to Jon Negroni’s genius ideas.
    Also note that this theory does not include films like Zootopia, Frozen, Moana, Planes, or any Pixar content that is not defined as a feature-length film.
    Forgive if I accidentally left any part of this out, as I am not a theorist myself and am purely referencing other people’s works.  Mistakes do happen.
    So enjoy the summary of this crazy fan theory.  Trust me, it’s more interesting than you might think, and believable enough to make you rethink the entire idea behind Pixar.

The story starts quite a long time ago, 65 million years ago to be general, set in the Cretaceous Period, with The Good Dinosaur.  Everyone knows that the first intelligent beings to roam our lands were dinosaurs (fact-check me), and the Pixar universe is no different.  In fact, the story begins with a world very similar to our own, with prehistoric-looking dinos in a serene land that is just beginning to develop intelligence.  However, the asteroid that is supposed to wipe out all of our dinosaurs misses Earth, and immediately an alternate universe kicks off. Millions of years later, dinosaurs are seen to have almost human-like intelligence.  They use tools, they have the ability to grow crops, they use regular logic, and a few species can even speak a language. However, they are massively suffering due to climate change. It wipes out their food, it kills their offspring, and it seems that intelligent life itself is destined to end.  The exception is the incoming species that defies all of the odds---man. Or, human. Though they do not yet have a fully-developed language, their survival abilities seem much better than dinosaurs’. They can survive storms, they take care of one another, they can provide for themselves, and by the end of the movie it is clear that dinosaurs are on the way out, and humans are on the way in.
    The next on the timeline is Brave, which fast forwards quite a bit, to the tenth century.  Magic is introduced as we watch the famous witch character screw up geography, turn doors to portals, and even transform humans to animals.  This is the first glimpse we have at a properly established human society. It is also the first time that we see animals develop human tendencies or act like a human would.  The witch serves as quite an interesting character, because she seems a little out of sorts with the rest of the world, living by herself, and acting just a bit creepily. She also mentions, at one point, that she is off to “the Wicker Man Festival in Stornoway,” which, FYI, was not invented until 2001.  These funny traits will come into play much later. Also, take note of the general Emotion. In Scandinavia in the 10th century, the dominant feelings of the land are mostly Fear, because humans are living in an unsafe society very close to the wild. This will also become relevant later.
    Another fast forward, and here we are in the 1960s, in a culture that mostly centers around the all-exciting superheroes.  In The Incredibles, the government gives well-trained crime-fighters a gene that allows them to develop a personal superpower in an attempt to harness human energy.  However, after plenty of lawsuits and legal troubles (mostly caused by Mr. Incredible, am I right?), superheroes are forced to tone down their act and become a part of normal society.  Mr. Incredible in particular hates this idea. He has a strange fear of being forgotten by the culture, which will be explained later. Then we meet Syndrome, the all-time most crazy-cool nemesis.  He is set on inventing and selling dangerous technology, making money and changing the world via consumerism. Syndrome introduces the world to the power of Artificial Intelligence. While it at first acts as an obedient tool and weapon, it very quickly becomes too smart to take orders, henceforth beginning an ultimate battle between machines and humans (and animals, but we’ll get to that later) that would eventually lead to the mass-production of products from the Buy N Large company.  Only one Evelyn Deavor realizes the problems with superheroes and the growing impact of technology. She attempts to convince the public of the effect supers are having on society. She eventually gets her wish as superheroes die out, but technology remains in combat with humans, set to take over.
    In 1995 and 1996, the effects of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 take place.  BNL has gotten to the toys, and they become conduits of power, feeding off of children’s emotions so much that they are given full movement, speech, and free thought. They are driven by the ambition to make their owners happy.  They have a society of their own and are all granted the known rule to keep their liveliness hidden. They pretty much serve as AI, and like the AI in The Incredibles, they grow more and more resentful of humans.  In the first movie, they plan against Sid Phillips and scar him for life.  In the second, Jessie resents her old owner for abandoning her.
    Finding Nemo and Finding Dory take place in 2004 and 2005.  We watch as fish and animals develop intelligence and logic.  They have free hopes, thoughts, dreams, and connections. In Finding Dory, we also become aware of Dory’s backstory.  She has the ability to read English because she was stuck in close proximity to humans for the first period of her life.  If you pay attention, you can also see how much pollution is beginning to affect the ocean. As Dory, Marlin, and Nemo are chased by a giant squid, they fly through heaps of garbage, encountering sea life that has turned the forts of trash into homes.
    In 2007, with Ratatouille, we first become aware of the real struggle between humans and animals.  Unlike in Finding Dory, humans hate rats and have no wish to keep them alive.  Remi the rat struggles to fulfill his dreams as he constantly battles to survive in a human world.  And yet he thrives off of humans, becoming more intelligent from studying them and surpassing all of his family from coming into close proximity of them.
    Also in 2007 is Toy Story 3.  We see several cameos from other films that suggest a connected universe.  We also have a brief glimpse at Buzz Lightyear’s batteries, which are from the BNL brand, hinting at a driving force for toys.  We are also introduced to more conflict between humans and machines as Lotso the huggable bear completely resents all of humankind and hates the concept of owners.
    Again in 2007 is Up, as we learn of Charles Muntz’s fascination with a particular species of bird.  He develops new technologies, and for the first time, a human becomes aware of a dog’s true potential and uses collars that allow them to talk.  We also catch a glimpse of the destruction that BNL is beginning to cause when we see it destroy Carl’s neighborhood and yard as the company starts taking over.
    In 2015, Pixar gives us an insight into how minds work, and what exactly is so powerful in a human: emotion.  Riley Andersen is primarily led by Joy, who dominates in her Headquarters and shows us how happy humans are becoming.  We see Riley using technology, including cell phones and laptops, and we meet her supposed imaginary friend, Bing Bong, who will become more relevant later.
    In Coco, we are given another form of what makes humans so wonderful: memory.  The skeletons in the Land of the Dead rely solely upon human memory to survive in their community.  We see what consequence Forgetting has upon skeletons as Hector’s friend ceases to exist because of it.  This is also shown in Inside Out through the power of the Memory Dump. After all, Bing Bong doesn’t leave existence because of lack of emotion, he leaves because humanity forgets him.  Mr. Incredible too is terrified of being forgotten by fellow humans as he struggles to leave his mark in a world where memory is everything.

Enter Part 2 of The Pixar Theory as things begin to look very bad for the Earth.  By 2057, consumerism has completely taken over and BNL controls all governments. There is a shortage and destruction of resources as the Earth becomes severely overpopulated.  In 2105, Earth is evacuated completely and humanity is stored on the Axiom so that BNL can clean up the mess using WALL-E units. This only causes the air to become toxic and radioactive, and the planet becomes permanently unlivable.
    Then Cars happens.  In 2110, machines are left on Earth with no humans to check them.  Similarly to the toys in Toy Story, cars develop life from the energy left by their old owners.  They developed the personas of the humans who once drove them and created entire societies from the remains of the Earth, as seen in Cars 1, 2, and 3, but they quickly begin dying out as pollution levels increase and a fuel shortage begins.  In Cars 3, we also see the cars’ timelines react in similar ways to the human timeline as technological advancements are made and cars like Jackson Storm take the wheel.  However, there isn’t much time left for the cars, and the many problems in their society lead to extinction.
    In 2805, the events of WALL-E take place.  The Earth is withering away almost to inexistence, as humans Forget about it more and more.  Operation Cleanup ended in 2110, but they forgot about a leftover garbage city, and so the one remaining robot still worked. He alone survived while the others around him perished.  He was able to survive because he could harness human energy from his obsession with human tools. Meanwhile, on the Axiom, humans are pampered to the point of uselessness. Machines have clearly won the battle between humans, animals, and machines as they slowly swallow humans with consumerism and screens.  At this point, machines are using the emotion of Joy to take advantage of humans. In the medieval times of Brave, humans were led by Fear, but slowly it evolved to Joy as technology came in to sweep humanity off its feet.  In the events of the movie, WALL-E finds an EVE unit, and they discover the single plant that has managed to grow because of WALL-E’s care. At the end, humans go back to Earth for a fresh beginning, and they live in harmony with animals with barely any use for machines.
    But that’s not the end of the story.  Humans, though repopulating, could barely survive in this new, damaged Earth, but when they couldn’t, animals could, starting simpler with birds, bugs, and small mammals.  Particularly bugs, who developed intelligence rapidly after surviving the Cars era (remember, the only other creature on Earth besides WALL-E at one point was a cockroach).  They developed whole societies, similar to those in The Good Dinosaur.  They could use tools, speak languages, build colonies, and all together thrived.  So began the events of A Bug’s Life, which took place in 2898.
    Eventually, humans stopped keeping up with the other Earthlings and died down shortly before they had the chance to evolve.  Animals evolved far past them and took over, starting in 3100. This started the era of a brand new new species––monsters. They created a new community, similar to those that humans created long ago.  They had cities, businesses, and families. They thrived, until they faced the same problem that the cars experienced. They had no human energy for fuel. So they created Monsters, Inc., a system in which they used advanced time-travel to create portals through time.  They scared humans and harvested their screams in bottles for energy, then, to prevent a collision between worlds, warned the monsters that children were toxic. They had the two all-time best scarers working for them, but even so, they were facing a crisis. The Fear in humans was becoming less and less potent for energy use, as technology was evolving and humans were beginning to rely on Joy.  To solve this problem, the monsters started harvesting energy on laughter. Scary monsters turned into loveable cotton candy comedians… cotton candy? Yes, Bing Bong was Riley’s monster in Inside Out.  He existed after the transformation of scarers to comedians and spent his time entertaining and befriending Riley.  Thus created the perfect ending, the wonderful harmony that had at last settled between humans, animals, and machines.  It took them long enough, right? But there was just one problem. In the movie Monsters Inc., which took place in 5201, there was Boo.
    Boo remembered Sully from when she was a young girl, and remembered the small family that they had created.  When he stopped visiting her, she made it her life’s mission to find him. She remembered the power of doors and figured out how to time-travel through major gaps in time.  She spent all of her adult life looking for him in various time periods, but in the end, she could not find him. She ended up spending her days in tenth century Scandinavia and would eventually become… the witch from Brave.
    That still gives me chills.
    But it makes perfect sense.  The witch has magical abilities that Boo learned along with time-travel, she has the ability to mess with doors, and she’s obsessed with bears, a creature that Sully looks a lot like.  There is even an easter egg carving of Sully in her workshop, if you look really closely.
    But there was still a problem.  The human timeline was progressing just as much as the monster timeline was.  Soon humans were going to become extinct. Boo’s story isn’t complete. She still has to warn the monsters and find a solution to the problem.  And for now, that's the end of The Pixar Theory.

It’s an amazing theory, right?  If you’re confused by my explanation or you want more depth and intricate details, there’s a Wikipedia page, an official site, a book written about it, and about a million YouTube videos explaining it.  Did you get chills? I certainly did. Thanks for reading this summary of the amazing Pixar Theory! Also, for the record I should say that Pixar has not confirmed any of this and none of it is considered official fact.  Still, it is really fun to think about.