Writer

Aspen Gray

I was born in Chile, raised in Utah, and I hope to someday write something worth reading. Be kind, seize the day, and love fearlessly.

Feedback, please. :) I'd be only too delighted to return the favor, so let me know if there's a specific piece of yours you'd like me to read! Thanks!

There Are Two Things You Should Never, Ever Mix

There are two things you should never, ever, mix.

The first is soft. It's sludge. It pours into your bones like a thick caramel shake and sits on your chest like cement--but funnily enough, you can't stop drinking, even though you know you're gonna pay for it later. The sugary tingles on your tongue distract you from the churning in the pit of your gut. Next sip will be the last, you promise yourself. (It nearly never is.)

The second is sharp. It's crunchy. It's salty and lemony and feels like broken glass between your teeth but you've got to grind it to dust or else give up on swallowing it entirely. You bite and you chew and it stings, but there's a grim satisfaction every time you feel a particularly large chunk shatter in two. I'll chew just for a little longer, you say. (But it's never quite done, and you never move on to the next bite.)

Together? They're poison.

You won't even notice it at first. Salt and caramel always get on well, and you'd think that between drinking too much and eating too little, you'd end up somewhere in the middle. Not so. After a little while, you'll notice your mouth feels a little number than before. Your jaw, working twice as slow. Your heartbeats slowing down, even as your thoughts speed up. Eventually you realize; you're paralyzed.

Your best chance of survival is simple. Eat better food.

If you value your life, I repeat, never, ever mix Procrastination and Perfectionism. 

1

• The Great Gabs-by

This is really cool. I love the way you narrate us through your imagery. Your short sentences are also very powerful and effective!! Well done!!:))

• omicron7889

This is such a well written piece, the imagery is fantastic! (This is also some very valid life advice that I should definitely follow but probably will end up forgetting. Or worse, procrastinating on it.)

• Plausible.Poems

Strong piece! :)