theinvisiblehumanbeing

I'm a student from Singapore who writes sometimes. :)

"sometimes,
people with stars in their eyes
drown
in the ocean of life."
- marina v.

invisible
/ɪnˈvɪzɪb(ə)l/
adjective

unable to be seen.
"this invisible gas is present to some extent in every home"

Probably the best adjective to describe me. Amid the busy city life, I will fade into the background, always watching the world from the outside, through glass windows of coffee shops on rainy days and park benches on clear ones.

And yet I am still a human being, one cursed with a heart of glass and dreams made of paper, who longs to be noticed but will only f a d e

A Place with Crosses

PROMPT: Child Narrator

30
Mommy brought me to a place with crosses. A maze, I thought as I ran along the rows, all lined with flowers. There were other people, all weeping. They glared at me. I didn't know what they were so upset about. The flowers were beautiful.

Names, names, names. Upon every cross. Mommy took me by the hand and led me to one at the far end of this place, inscribed with Daddy's name. She bent down and placed flowers in front of the cross, whispering ‘sorry’ over and over again. I didn't know why she should've been sorry. The weather was perfect.

I asked her where Daddy was. She told me earlier he'd be there, but I didn't see him anywhere. Down there, she told me, pointing to the ground. I didn't believe her.

Before she left, a bird took off into the bright blue sky. It left a few feathers behind. They were very pretty. I picked up the feathers and left them with the flowers. Mommy saw me and told me that the feathers were dirty.

When Mommy and I arrived home, I found a letter on the table. It was from the Army. I picked it up and read it over. There were many big words in the letter. Too many. Duty, death, circumstances, sympathy. Too hard for me to understand.

I asked Mommy what they meant. She told me to go to bed.

Grown-ups always tell me that I should be proud that my Daddy helped our country win a war. I don't care about the war. I want my Daddy back.

I can only think of one thing:

Daddy wasn't there the day the soldiers returned.
Inspired from the loss of a relative when I was 5.

• .amelia.

Wow the heartache is real. Awesome work! :)

You show a child's viewpoint so accurately, and convey a sad, tragic scene really well through that. This is so well-written!

• Catlover

Update:

• Made4Love

So well-written! So beautifully deep and moving!

• korra4life

I absolutely love your Message from Writer! Being invisible is usually negatively connotated, but I feel like it can be positive too.
    And, I absolutely love the way you wrote this from the perspective of a child. I've always feared the day when this would happen to me since my brother is in the military.
    No offense to anyone, but I've always hated when people tell those in mourning that they should be 'proud' of those who've died in war. Pride shouldn't be what a grieving person should feel. They should be allowed to feel grief in their moment. It's hard to move on from deaths; feeling proud is something that comes later.
    I love how you conveyed that through the last few paragraphs. This is amazing.

• Catlover

Just wanted to let you know about my upcoming book club:

• The Great Gabs-by

I can really see the child in the narrative. From the little things like the big words he can't understand to the huge concept of death and loss while still being able to hint how his father never came back. This is a wonderful piece!!:))

• etheryal

This is so beautiful T-T

• Cho

Perfect.

• theinvisiblehumanbeing

Well, technically yes! I'm so sorry about that, I should've written 'author' instead, haha! :)

• AbigailSauble

BTW, I was curious about your bio. You said that you're aspiring to become a writer. Aren't you already a writer? :D This piece is really meaningful to me because I have brothers in the military. :)

• AbigailSauble

Oh . . . this is so sweet!

• theinvisiblehumanbeing

Thanks for the support everyone!

• Plausible.Poems

You are such a talented writer!

• Dani A. Remlap

Omigod I love this, so sad

• Luna Lemon

Wow! Such a beautiful piece. I love the simplicity of your writing for the child yet how powerful each line was. The last line especially left a huge weight in my stomach. AMAZING!