Ian Bellgraph

Poems

0
Romeo and Juliet have struck controversy with most people with the fact of Romeo loved Juliet as soon as they met or he was just shocked by her beauty. Throughout the play, people say that Romeo gradually fell more in love with her and she fell in love him.  With examples in the play, I believe they both fell in love with each other as soon as they saw each other. At the moment, as Romeo snuck away from Tybalt, he noticed the beauty of Juliet while she was sitting there. When they first met, they were hooked right away. They knew he/she was the one for the other. They lit up the dark room with fireworks from their first kiss. In Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, love at first sight is shown and proven by many great examples. By Romeo and Juliet exchanging vows after first seeing each other, Juliet going to the extreme to save the marriage between Romeo and her , and committing suicide when they see each other dead.
    In Act I, Scene V Shakespeare wrote about them going to Lord Capulet’s party. They meet in the back corner of the party. They sneak a kiss. After the kiss, Romeo says “ Sin from my lips? O trespass sweetly urged!/ Give me my sin again (I.v.107-108). Juliet responds, “You kiss by th’ book (I.v.109) This conversation is showing their compassion for each other when they just met that day or their love at first sight. After the famous kiss and after the nurse takes her to her mother the nurse says to Juliet “His name is Romeo, and a Montague /The only son of your great enemy (I.v.135-136). Juliet responds with “My only love, sprung from my only hate!/ Too early seen unknown, and known too late!/ Prodigious birth of love it is to me/ That I must love a loathed enemy (I.v.137-140). This conversation shows that even being enemies of each other, they still love each other for who they are as a person not what their last name was. After, Romeo sneaks off to the orchard to see Juliet again. Before anyone notices, they kiss again and exchange their vows less than a couple hours after they first met. This shows that they truly love each other enough to quickly get married before anyone tries to separate them.
    Later in the play Tybalt kills Mercutio. Then Romeo, filled with anger, takes his frustration out on Tybalt and kills him. Romeo is banished from the city/village. Juliet is forced to marry Paris and so she will go to the extreme to not have that happen. Juliet runs to the Friar (Romeo’s Friend) and asks what should she do about the situation. He tells her the plan. The plan is to drink the potion which makes her seem dead and feel dead but just knocks her out. Next, her family will see her dead and put her in their chamber with all of the dead family members until the funeral. Romeo will come get her in 2 days when the potion wears off and live together the rest of their lives. Juliet is worried that she will wake up and go so crazy that she will bust her head with her ancestors bones. She is willing to take the risk for Romeo and also in her religion if you marry 2 people you will go to hell. In the conversation with Friar after he tells her it is a big risk she replies “Give me, give me! O, tell me not to fear! (IV,i,124). This shows that she is willing to do everything for Romeo. With fake killing herself, she is willing to pay a big consequence if she wakes up before he will get there and her family finds out she isn’t dead.
    Near the end of the play Romeo hears that Juliet is dead even though she was on the potion. So he wants to kill himself, so he goes back into the village/city and goes to the pharmacy. He begs the pharmacist for poison. He gave him all his money and went to the church to see her “dead”. He basks in her glory then lies beside her. He takes his final drink, a vial of poison and dies. Juliet a minute later wakes up and sees Romeo dead. She freaks out and quickly makes the decision that she cannot live without Romeo so she takes his sword and stabs herself and dies. This shows that even after quickly meeting someone they would take their life for each other.
As people read or watch the play, they can understand that Romeo and Juliet truly fell deep in love when they met for the first time. Although their feelings grew deeper throughout the play, no one can argue that they didn’t fall in love immediately. Having the two exchanging their vows right after they meet, killing themselves when seeing each other dead, and going to extreme to save their marriage. They show true compassion for each other.