NATBAT

I am a 14-year-old writer who is less innocent than people normally believe. I love to write short stories for children, and I share all of my stories with my friends.

I would like to know if I put in too many details and if you like my characters. Thanks!

The Tartarus Island

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. Every child's, too. We had been stuck on this island for nearly 3 years now, and we had almost completely given up hope that someone would come to us and bring us back to America. We are from Indonesia, and we were on a boat, very close to getting to America, and all of our wishes coming true. Unfortunately, the captain then died of infection, and the sailors decided to abandon us on this island and leave, going back to Indonesia. We have tried every good season to get a boat to come for us, but the boats never seem to see us. It was getting to the point where every person on this island had given up the wish that someone would rescue us, and just wished that we could have a good, hot bath, let alone get some good food. The children (there were 24 of them when we first landed, now, when I'm telling you this, there were 4) had given up the hope of chocolate, and sweets. The poor four were the only ones that survived the harsh landing 2 years, 10 months, and 3 weeks ago. The rest got hurt, and as we did not have the right medical supplies, they ended up dying of infection. There were 65 adults when we landed, and now there were only 10 of us. They had died of disease, infection, and starvation. After about a year of people dying, we figured out that the nuts that grew on the trees were edible, and we found sharp rocks to get water out of the trees. There were also blueberry bushes that one little girl, Amanda, found about 2 months into the second year. Yesterday, a ship came into the distance. The children stood on the beach, yelling at the top of their little lungs. Amanda stood on top of a rock, waving a white shirt that she had brought with her. The ship didn't seem to hear them, and eventually the children gave up. They came back to our camp, but when they got there, they finally noticed that the one boy among them, Trevor, was not there. They ran back to the beach, yelling for him. I came with them. Trevor was my sister, Nutmeg, 's son, and she died of infection not 2 weeks ago. Her last words to me were, "Please, Lexi. Take care of Trevor for me. Don't let him die on this Tartarus of an island." She always believed that the Greeks had better language than most religions. Her last breaths were spent in the company of her son, holding her hand. When we got to the beach, we saw that the ship was closer, and Trevor was there, still yelling and screaming like there was no tomorrow, which, on this island, could actually be true. The ship came closer, and closer, and I was very surprised. Amanda gripped my hand. Her parents had died from measles after a few days on the island, and instead of going to her grandparents, she adopted me as her honorary mother. Eventually, after all of the children's parents died, they all came to me. I'm like the mother figure on the island.
"Amanda, dear, run back to the camp and tell everyone that a ship has finally come to the island!" She listened to me immediately, and a few minutes later, when the ship was almost at the island, she came screaming and jogging back, yelling to me that the adults wouldn't listen and they wouldn't come. I decided that if the adults wouldn't come when I told them, we would leave them on the island. I ran back to camp myself, screaming that if the adults didn't come, we would get on the boat and go back to America without them. Only one person listened, the oldest of us all, a woman named Skye. She was almost 60 years old, and we were all surprised when she survived the landing. She grabbed her bag, and said that if I said there was a ship, there was a ship, and she was coming. The rest of the camp didn't listen, so I left the eight of them, and Skye followed me to the beach. The ship had reached the shore, and the children were jumping around. I grabbed them all and held them by the shoulders. The other two girls, Sophie and Ivy, both turned around and hugged me.
"We're leaving the island! We're leaving the island!" they both squealed.
"Yes, we're leaving the island," I said to them. Trevor and Amanda hugged me, as well.
"Miss Lexi, are you sure that this ship will take us to America?" Amanda asked me, looking into my eyes with her innocent blue ones.
"Yes, Amanda. I'm sure. America will be amazing. We will live much better than on this island." The captain stepped off the ship and asked me a question I would never forget.
"Which one of you is coming?" I could tell that the children were confused, so I quickly answered.
"Well, there are 8 other adults back at the camp, but they didn't want to come with us. This is everyone who is coming." The captain looked surprised.
"Oh. Well, we only have enough food for one adult and four children. One of you will have to stay." Skye and I looked at each other in disbelief. We had both been dreaming about this day the entire time we were on the island, and now one of us had to stay?
Skye told me, "You should go. You need to take care of the children, and I'm going to die sooner anyway. You should have a good life in America, the way we always dreamed."
"No! You should go, I can survive better on the island." Amanda jumped up into my arms.
"If you're staying, I'm staying."
"Yeah!" Trevor agreed.
"Us too!" Sophie and Ivy said as one.
"See, Lexi? The children need this more than you or I do. You need to go. They need a mother, and I never had children. You know how to take care of them. I decided in a split second.
"Okay." I turned to the captain. "I'm coming."
"Okay. I'll tell the crew that we have five new passengers. Grab your stuff and get on the boat." He turned around and marched into the boat. Behind his back, Trevor pretended to march in too. Amanda giggle, and Trevor looked proud that he got a laugh. We all went onto the ship, and Skye stayed on the beach. She waved as the ship sailed away, taking the children and I away from the "Tartarus Island" with our dreams and happiness soaring.