Bookspixlr

Robert Snider

Book Nerd. Theatre Geek. Word Dork.

Microfibers

Our planet’s first moment. A single microfiber in the majestic tapestry of existence, the time Earth herself took her first breath. In the beginning, Earth was barren, pestered only by brazen moon rocks. Then, Earth rocks, the first miracle, came to be. Then volcanoes and continents and oceans and, audacious and valiant…

A single organism. Then a second. Then a third and a fourth, all of them breaking through the seemingly impenetrable roadblocks impeding life. And those intrepid beings opened the floodgates, which led to plants, which led to animals, which led to the first plants courageous enough to venture outside of their familiar murky depths and call land home. Sharks ruled the seas, and insects began collecting their bloody prizes from other unsuspecting animals. All of these organisms, flourishing, until…

BOOM! 90% of life disappeared in a flash, a great cosmic KO. Earth herself mourned for millions of years, until dinosaurs developed. These scaly stalkers tyrannized Earth for millions of years, dominating and evolving. They were seemingly undefeatable, until…

BOOM! The ferocious hunters themselves became extinct too. In their place, birds and mammals appeared. Early mammals evolved into hominins, which evolved into Neanderthals, which evolved into…

Us. The mighty humans, our reign only a fraction of the reign of the dinosaurs. All of our wars, our inventions, our masterpieces, our sufferings, are a minute portion of the Earth’s enormous life span. We have done immense wrong, and we have committed slavery, persecution, discrimination, violence, terrorism, pollution, and have caused the extinction of our fellow creatures. But we have also done immense good, and we have created art, music, stories, poetry, and plays. We have explored space and the depths of the ocean, as well as our own minds. We have found patterns, and have found explanations for the world around us through mathematics, science, and religion. We have watched civilizations rise and fall, and have recorded it all in our vast history. We have made incredible advancements, from the taming of fire to the invention of the computer. And through all of this, we have learned to value the individual.

All 13 years in my life, from my first word (cookie), to my first day of school, have been made up of moments. Somehow, these moments in all of our lives are equal to that very first moment. Tiny microfibers, from the very beginning…

To the very end.