JadeAndSerpentine

I am an aspiring writer who loves reading (and creating) tales of fantasy and adventure, writing poetry, and exploring new genres. I hope that some day I will become a decent writer, but one step at a time!

Considering being active again...

"Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it on to someone else."---Mitch Albom

So... I don't really know what this is, but I do know it's bad. I guess I just felt like writing something dark.

Ready When You Are

5
The ship spirals through the stars. In one moment, the floor is below us, in the next, it is above. The escape pod is thousands of miles away by now. I'm so glad my little sister made it on. I know she has a joyous life ahead of her. Tanya gave up her spot for a stranger. Her face is stony as she opens the hatch on the ship's side. She reaches for my hand. I fight back tears and try to smile. I'm not afraid anymore. I will never be afraid again. 

"Ready when you are, Briya," she says, and we jump.

*****

The woman nudges us forward gently. "See you on the other side," she whispers with a smile.

For me and Shay, this is a new beginning, filled with opportunity. Opportunity my sister, Briya, never had. Tears fill my eyes and I let them spill onto my cheeks. Shay smiles at me encouragingly, but I'm sure she's thinking about my sister's friend, who shoved her into the last seat of the pod before Shay could protest. I give her hand a squeeze.

"Ready when you are," I say, and we let ourselves fall.

1