61d7d9cf bdc7 4055 93cf 36d926dd2173

Violeta Nicola

Romania

My name is Violeta Nicola and I am a seventeen year old from Romania.I am the proud owner of the site violetanicola.ro where I write articles, reviews of books,movies,Tv Shows and where I interview people with wonderful achievements.

The "Benefits" Of The Modern Food Industry

In this day and age, it seems as if consumption has gone out of control and it really has. Whether is the excessive amount of clothing we buy for ourselves or the amount of food waste we produce on a daily basis,people are using more of nature's resources at such an alarming rate that Earth simply cannot keep up with us.The consumption of food and the waste we produce off of it shows us how out of sync people have become with themselves and how we lost track of doing things in a conscious way.
     Not only does the food industry harm the planet on a biological level but it also harms us. Diseases like diabetes or heart problems have seen a really generous growth in the last decade due to the poor quality of food people eat every day.Take America, one of the most influential and most prolific countries in the world as an example.Americans suffer from an epidemic of food-related diseases, such as obesity; type 2 diabetes; cardiovascular, liver and kidney diseases; some types of cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease.These diseases are caused, in part, by a food industry that promotes processed food packed with unhealthy ingredients, including high fructose corn syrup, added sugars, trans fats, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors and colors, preservatives and other additives.
     Why? Because According to the Pew Research Center, there are 50 million Americans who eat fast food everyday. That’s roughly 1 in 7 people and what is worse is that a lot of food companies choose kids as their target demographic. A study published in Pediatrics: Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics found that children preferred the taste of certain foods when the packaging included a fun cartoon character. As children see 3-5 fast food ads per day, no wonder how easily they choose junk food over a healthier option.Still underestimating the power and the influence of the big fast food chains? Did you know that the brand of McDonald's is more recognized than the Christian Cross? Recent studies actually show that the McDonald’s arches is more globally recognizable than the Christian cross. 7,000 people were surveyed throughout six different countries, and 88% were able to identify the McDonald's logo, whereas only 54% identified the Christian cross.
     Knowing all of this information, is there any way that a person can reduce its food waste per head and can opt for healthier choices of food? Turns out,there is but you have to be careful not to fall in specific traps when buying food.Food-label health claims can be deceptive and,just because a nutrition label says it contains a certain amount of calories, that does not mean that it's accurate.Informing yourself off of food labels is a good place to start when buying a product but bear in mind that it may not tell all the truth.A report written in 2011 showed that 24% of nutritional labels were grossly inaccurate: that’s 1 out of every 4 products on the shelf! This is not surprising when you consider that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows calorie counts on the standard “Nutrition Facts” labels to be off by as much as 20% before they even think about getting involved. So that 500-calorie frozen dinner you’re eating may actually be as many as 600!
     All of this might sound horrible and that's because it is but, as in everything, there is an upside to it. Microgreens take far less time to grow when compared to their mature counterparts, requiring as little as seven days. Mature plants take up to 10 weeks before you can harvest and the organic food industry is growing.In 2011, the U.S. organic food industry grew by 9.5%, reaching over $31.5 billion in sales, $29.22 billion of which was earned from organic food and beverage sales. Organic food is pricier, but that’s only due to the fact that those prices reflect the actual cost of producing it.Knowing this, you can treat your body the right way and you can find a way to treat the planet a better way,for example:growing food lowers your carbon footprint.Enormous amounts of CO2 emissions can be eliminated if food is grown at home. If food imported to the Waterloo, Ontario region was replaced with regionally grown food, up to 50,000 metric tons of CO2 emissions would be saved.By growing your own food, you help the planet and you know your food comes from a safe place.
     To conclude on the subject of food and all the things that come with and after it,I will say this:there are so many products out there that you can choose from and so many myths and false facts that can be presented to you.I really think that the key to conscious  eating is really being informed about what you put in your body and listen to your body and what food feels right to you. The relationship with food is a very unique and constant process for everyone so good luck and stay conscious in everything that you do in life !