Blankitude

난 괜찮아♔ Fingertips tracing patterns across the canvas of the sky♕ 忙着追逐天空中的流星♙

• B L A N K • < noun > °

blaŋk/
1. A space left empty to be filled☆
2. Something non-existant

• A T T I T U D E • < noun > °

ˈatɪtjuːd/
1. A behaviour towards all perceptions real or delusionary received by the mind's brainwaves ; often influenced by perspectives, beliefs, and thoughts of the petty human being.

☆ B L A N K + A T T I T U D E ☆
= BLANKITUDE

○■○■○■○

тне ыаикеsт sтатеs оғ міпd оғ а 15 чеаг оld gігl ат 3АМ

City Lights

1
3
A toddler with huge blue eyes that seemed to hold the ocean ran up to her mother. “Mummy, mummy, look I caught a firefly.” Her hands were clasped tightly together, fingers interlacing. All around her were fireflies, thousands of them, lighting up the area with a beautiful glow, their soft wings brushing against her skin. To the child, she was swimming in a sea of lights, the firefly’s glow dancing in her eyes. To the child, the fireflies could light up the whole universe. The child tripped on something, maybe a rock or fallen twig. She fell forward without a sound. Her mother rushed forward, asking her if she was hurt, but the child just lay there, amongst the red and brown leaves that littered the hard asphalt. She stared, captivatedas the firefly flew out of her palms, brighter than ever in the dark night. It landed like a feather on the tips of her pale fingers and shook its wings. Then it soared up, light trailing after it like a ribbon. Her mother pulled her up, telling her it was time to go home. She took one last look over her shoulder before she was led away.

8
A little girl perched gingerly on the edge of the roof. She was a nervous little bird, wanting to take flight into the night. She swung her legs over the edge, watching as the tips of her toes turned blue. The wind played with her hair, tangling and pulling the strands. Her eyes darted up from her toes for a second, and they widened at the view. Up here, the world looked like a painting; everything is perfect, and only the occasional sound of cars rushing past reminded her it was real. She could see everything. Below her were millions of lights, flickering in the night, illuminating the city. She could almost feel her toes touching the lights, getting warmed up by their heat. It was not enough, so she inched forward a little, but the wind gently pushed her body back in place. Her eyes shined as if they were lights themselves. She stayed there until the lights went off, hardly blinking her eyes as she absorbed all that she could.

12
She watched, lips trembling as the woman on the stretcher was pushed into the room. The walls of the room was pristine white, like it had been bleached of all colour. It was too bright. Too blinding. She did not like this light. Her father’s large hand was closed over her small hand, squeezing it gently. The people in blue snapped on their gloves and masks. Her father was saying it was going to be okay, Mommy was going to be alright. A lady in white with a candid smile told them they could go home. She shook her head, her cheeks stained with dried tears. She wanted to stay here with Mommy. She slept uncomfortably on the hard plastic benches, in the corridor that was too bright, thinking about the beautiful coloured glow of the glow-in-the-dark stars her mother had pasted onto her ceiling, that told her it was going to be alright, and that her family was safe. She fell asleep to those stars that night.

14
The fire danced, hues of red and orange rising from the wood. The teenager danced, hand- in- hand with her friends, laughing as they collapsed onto the, soft, untamed hair of the earth. Her face was flushed, her cheeks rosy, her eyes burning with fire. She shaped her hands into the form of a rabbit. And there it was, the black silhouette, hopping across the trees. At this moment, she felt no tears, no stress, no fear, no hate. There was only the darkness and the light, and the spaces in between.

19
The colourful fluorescent lights formed words in bold, looping fonts. Some were blinking in the dark, as if they were playing a game of hide- and- seek. The whole street was full of them. People paraded around her, the lights reflecting off their jewellery and diamond-studded handbags. She was a young adult now, and she could finally be free. Free. The word was almost foreign on her lips. A neon light in front of her spelled the words ‘free’. It was bright, daring her to come forwards, and she found her feet moving towards it, like a moth drawn to a light. She smiled.

27
Staring out into the never-ending darkness, they stood hand-in-hand on top of the Eiffel Tower, eyes transfixed on the city that stretched out before them. A streetlight flickered on in the distance. Then another. Slowly, more lights appeared, shining through the darkness. The city was aglow. The light below reflected the stars above. It was beautiful. He was wearing a handsome suit, and she was in a white dress that flowed behind her. Their faces were shining in the artificial lighting, in the starlight, as they kissed. Their happiness and love outshone every light in the city and every star in the sky.

34
He had bought her a telescope and they placed it on their balcony. Every night, she would rush out of the house and press her eye against the cold glass. She would point out to him every star, every constellation. There’s Venus, look. And that’s Sirius. He would nod and smile at how her eyes were twinkling at the sight of the never-ending black sky peppered with thousands of stars. And then they would both laugh when their baby daughter, Aurora, tries to catch a star with her hands. She thought of the firefly she had caught many years ago. Light cannot be caught. Light cannot be trapped. Light is free.

42
Her hand was closed around her daughter’s hand as she helped her draw a star on the paper.
The girl squirmed, wanting to draw it herself. She let go, nodding encouragingly as the child drew a crooked line in crayon. It was raining outside, the raindrops hanging over the city like a blanket. The windows were fogged over, and the light from the lamps outside were blurred. She lifted her daughter up onto a stool, and placed her tiny hands on the glass. When the rain stopped, Aurora had decorated the whole window with her fingers. The light from the outside shone through the glass and mist, and the room was filled with a rainbow of colours, dancing off the wall, off their faces. Aurora rushed for the I-pad. There was a click, and she captured the rainbow.

56
The lights in the room had been dimmed. The woman sat on her hands, perching nervously on the chair like she did on the roof years before. Her eyes, though some wrinkles had formed around them with age, were still a bright, shining blue. They sparkled even brighter as her family entered the room, placing a cake in front of her. Her husband flicked the lighter and carefully lit the candles one- by- one. The brightness sharply contrasted with the darkened room. Right now, the lights were hope and dreams. She closed her eyes and made a wish. There was a pause. She did not want to blow the lights out. She took a deep breath and she sucked them in.

71
She was so proud. Her eyes were glassy round ornaments filled with glistening tears as her daughter skilfully painted their family portrait on the golden paper. Long were the days she had to hold her hand to draw the stars; Aurora was now a world-renowned artist. I dedicate this lantern to my family, whom with their loving light, helped me to soar, past the darkness, to the stars beyond. She carefully took the lantern, afraid that her frail fingers might damage it. For a moment, there was no crowd around her, only her family. She took a deep breath, like the one she took to suck in the candlelight. A thousand images were swirling around in her head. The fireflies, the city lights, the stars, the candles, and now the lantern. She had captured all these lights, drinking them in. The light had always been within her. Now, she was setting it free. The lantern was tugging at her hands, wanting to break away, wanting to join the stars in the sky. She knew the feeling; it was as if she was a star too, and she belonged with them. Her eyes burning brighter than ever, she placed a kiss on each drawing on the lantern before letting it go. The lantern rose into the night, casting its dazzling glow over the city. One- by- one, the people released their lanterns. The lanterns formed an ocean of lights above their heads, the waves of light washing over every person, lighting up their lives, spreading love and happiness and freedom. Her eyes never left her lantern, for it was hers, and it held all the dreams, all the wishes, all the memories she had within her that she had set free.

1509 words

• May 13, 2018 - 8:36am (Now Viewing)