Coffee

Sasha K. Lotnikee

Hello! I've moved to writetheworld.com/profiles/1668. Please check out and critique my writing there! :)

Hidden Words

PROMPT: Word

0

When recently rereading the fantastic, thrilling mystery, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I bumped into a word I had never seen before. In one of the beginning chapters, "Search for Mr. Hyde", the word "troglodytic" glowed on the page. And now, even as I'm writing this, a red squiggly line appears underneath it. I've read this book a myriad of times - why had I not noticed this before? And so I naturally became absolutely fascinated with this word, quickly rambling for the dictionary. Apparently, it meant "ape-like", and had something to do with cavemen. I finally understood. Mr. Hyde was a troglodytic, ape-like man. What a poetic word! I pronounced it several times, having the words roll of my tongue.

As with most intriguing vocabulary words, I try to incorporate it in everyday speech and see how people react. Even on the phone. Just a couple days ago, I was having a conversation with my friend, and I said something, something with the word "troglodytic" in it. She cocked her head, wrinkled her eyebrows, and responded, "What?" And so I explained this strange word to her.

Words are fascinating - from the ordinary, prevalent ones we use everyday in speech, such as "the", as well as the more unusual ones, like "troglodytic". If you apply a curious mind when you read, you may bump into words you would have never noticed before! Just take your time and ask questions - you may find yourself delving into a mysterious world of words - all of which are strange yet interesting at the same time.