Isabella Swenson

I repeatedly read Harry Potter, Narnia, Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Trials of Apollo, Laura Ingalls, or Anne of Green Gables. When I'm not reading, I’m writing, grudgingly doing some homework, singing, playing the piano, or my flute.

How Do The Babies Get In There?

PROMPT: Child Narrator

8
  Mommy took Lilly to play outside one day, when Felix was just a little baby, thoughtfully watching Lilly play soccer on the front lawn. Daniel wasn't even born yet; He was on the way. Lilly had a lot of questions about that, and some mixed ideas about where Felix had come from, and where Daniel was now.

There was a storybook about some white bird called a stork. It carried cloths with babies in them and dropped the babies on doorsteps or down chimneys, or something. Lilly didn't see how such a drop didn't hurt about babies. She'd heard about people who "must have been dropped as babies", which apparently made them stupid. "Bad parenting," people grumble about the people who got dropped as babies. Lilly didn't see how being dropped was the parents' fault; People were stupid all because of the storks! 

But then there was Patti, a girl from school, who said that babies come from their mother's stomach. A boy named Thomas said that was stupid. How could a baby get in there? But then Patti brought a doll to school that had a tummy that opened, and a baby that fit inside, so Thomas was obviously wrong, and Lilly stopped wondering why Mommy's belly all huge. But Lilly still had questions about the topic. 

Beth, who was a big sixth grader, came over now, on her green scooter. She was Lilly's neighbor. Because of Lilly's lack of success with Mommy, she decided to try her luck asking questions on Beth, who was surely old enough to know about things like babies.

"How do babies get in their Mommy's stomach?" Lilly asked at once. Beth looked startled. She let her scooter fall to the ground. She looked at Lilly's Mommy, as if asking for help. 

"Why don't you two play some soccer?" Mommy asked cheerfully. 

Lilly frowned. Mommy must have not heard her. Lilly repeated her question, and this time, Beth said lightly, " Oh, I don't know how it works... Hey, do you want me to be the goalie?"

Lilly sighed. If a big kid like BETH didn't know how the babies got into their mother's stomach, then when WOULD Lilly find out? 

• May 5, 2018 - 11:31am (Now Viewing)