Img 2317

Proverbs 12:18

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the words of the wise bring healing.
-Proverbs 12:18

I would love any advice I can get! As you can see, I have no title ideas, so if anyone has a suggestion, I would love to hear it!

???

2
Rachel, the daughter of Israelites in Egypt.  Rachel, the slave.  Rachel, the twin to the baby boy who drowned in the Nile when he was only three days old.  Rachel, the one with a bleak future and dusty dreams, because Rachel was the girl cursed with a stutter.   
Why was she defined by this one imperfection? Why was she judged for something she couldn’t even control?  Why her?  These questions burned through Rachel's mind, setting off an inferno of blazing thoughts.   
Rachel grabbed a broom, hoping work would be the key to unleash quenching rain onto her fiery thoughts, before they burned brighter.  Why couldn't she be someone else? Anyone else would do, if they weren't crippled by the fear of what others thought.   
Rachel swept fiercely, as if she could brush out the evil she harbored in her heart.  It was no use.  Her mind was still sticky with the cobwebs of jealousy, no matter how hard she tried to bundle them up and fling them away.   Fifteen long years had been devoted to desperately trying to accept her flaws.  Or change them.  If anything, it made them worse.   
Every time she opened her mouth, the words lunched out, tripping and stumbling over each other.  They became even more jumbled when she attempted to send them out correctly, and soon, she just gave up talking completely.  It wasn't like she had anything important to say anyhow.   
Rachels eyes welled with tears as she fought the urge to cry.  Her life seemed to be a never-ending well of hopelessness, but she couldn’t cry.  Not now, not ever.  At least she was alive.  At least she was a girl, unaffected by Pharaoh's order.  The order to kill throw all the newborn boys into the Nile River.  At least she didn’t die like that when she was a mere three days old, though sometimes she wished she did.   
Why couldn't she have taken her brother's place?  Why did she have to be dissatisfied with the life she did get?  Why did Pharaoh insist on murdering innocent children anyway?   
Because he feared the Israelites, that's why.  He wanted to halt their growing population before they grew so large they could manage to overtake him.  He murdered babies, but he didn’t stop there.  He also forced all the grown men to work their lives away, building bricks for his palaces.  How could anyone be so cruel?  She wasn’t even allowed to think these horrid thoughts about the Pharoah, much less speak them, but she knew how to keep her mouth shut.   
Maybe her brother was lucky.  Maybe he would've had a stutter too, but he never had to endure the insults that followed saying a single sentence.  Instead of sweating as he made brick after brick, day after day, he got to go straight to heaven and be with God for the rest of eternity.   
God.  Rachel's face twisted into a bitterer scowl.  If God loved her so much, how could He do nothing as more and more of His people died?  The Israelites were supposed to be His chosen people, but at the moment, it felt as if He were favoring the Egyptians. 
Rachel had given up on God long ago.  Why create her at all if He was just going to create her broken?  The wounds of anger and pain were too deep and too raw to scar over anytime soon, especially with fate picking at the scabs.  Rachel felt like it would be easier to heal with some family support, but what did she know? 
Her father worked all day, sunup to sundown.  He had no time to do anything except work and sleep, and don’t even think about him having time to interact with his family. 
Rachel's mother was too ashamed of the fortuitous ? placed upon her only child to even say three words to her, when three words were what Rachel needed most.  She had never even heard the words "I love you". 
I guess no one does, Rachel thought in lament.  She set aside her broom and slipped outside so her mother wouldn’t see the deluge of tears that finally managed to trail down her cheeks.  Her mother was already disappointed in her.  Rachel didn’t need to drive the wedge deeper between them by showing her misery.   
Her whole family seemed to be succumbing to the wedge, crumbling farther and farther apart.  Rachel didn’t think it'd be long before her family would be a few scattered billows of dust, lost to the Egyptian wind forever. 

• AbigailSauble

I love delving into Bible stories and creating a novel-like version to them. :)

• Proverbs 12:18

Thank you guys both so much! It means a lot for people to take the time to look at my writing, so thanks for making my day!

• TwentyOneTimelords

This is really great! Historical fiction at its finest :)

• INVISIBL3

Wow.
    You took an old Bible story and turned it into a more understandable, relatable tale. Great job on this.