Img 0552

sincereskies

A writer is simply a photographer of thoughts.

-click-

I wrote this piece in about 20-30 minutes, so this is a rough draft. Please feel free to give criticism, but the constructive kind please! Thanks and enjoy!

Shelter from the Storm

A world of absolute white in all directions. The ground, covered in snow, the air, filled with hail and snowflakes. Her, left shivering, with no sence of direction.
    THUMP! A piece of hail hit the girl full on the head. She stumbled backward onto something soft but prickly. The girl turned around. Still, only white glares back at her, but she knew this white is different. The girl thrust her hand into the mound. Prickly straws poke back. She dug a little hole, then crawled into the hay stack.
    The girl sighed in relief. Finally some warmth from the raging storm.

---------------------------------------

"Pa, did they ever find Laura Watkins?"
    "Hush now, Ida. We are saying grace."
    "But Ma, she rushed out into the storm last week when Teacher told us to stay in the school room! And she hasn't been to school yet! Teacher is worried sick. Lottie Smith says that she doesn't caure if Laura doesn't come back. I don't like her. She-"
    "Ida." A gruff voice interupted Ida's worried rant, "let us bless this food, then we can talk. Lord, bless this food to our nourishment, and us to Your service. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
    "Amen."
    "Amen," echoed Ida, "but Pa, really, what ever did happen to Laura?"
    "Charles," interrupted Ida's Ma "I don't think this is the right time or place."
    "Mary, she should know. Laura was her friend after all."
    "Pa!" Whined Ida, "tell me what?"
    "Ida. They found Laura Watkins all right. She was frozen blue in the O'Malley's hay stack. Not a pulse left in that girl." 

1