dianaiovanescu

Wake Up To Reality

Wake up to the reality
                By: Diana Iovanescu

I noticed it right away: in the middle of the floor sat a beautiful grand piano. The image hit my eye, almost blinding me. Its wood was a mixture of mahogany, rosewood, and walnut, producing a blazing incandescence. The feeling was so incredible, that I began to quiver. I walked over and placed my hands on the upper side, and began to play. The piece started off slowly, growing into a roar created in the gut. Suddenly, at the tip of my neck, I heard whispers and turned around. There in the very corner of the room stood my two best friends, Maggie and Krisie.
They sniffed, "What are you doing, Juliet?"
I whispered “nothing”
"Well, can we go then?"
I slowly nodded, and walked away.  I just walk away from, all of it! My troubles, the people who care about me, EVERYTHING! I live on the most shitty part of town. (You know where people drop out of school at 16 and just waste their lives drinking and doing drugs). I can just picture myself turning into that in  two years after I don't get into college. BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY I WILL GET INTO JUILLIARD with a C average in every class.
                                        ................

Krisie's red corvette was parked in front of the school.  I get in and sit quietly in the back while they  go on and on blabbering about how this girl did this, and what boy did that. I don't even pay attention. There are millions of thoughts filling my mind right now. I try to stop them from coming  by shaking my head, but there's no point. It won't change the way I feel.
I can see my so called “home” in the distance. I can't imagine how it would feel to come home every day to the open arms of understanding parents who are willing to do anything for you. Just one hug from them would change the way I feel. I wonder if they'll ever change. The car stopped.
Krisie looked at me and said with a smirk, “We’re here!”
I smiled a plastic smile and replied, “Thanks for the ride.”
My audition with Juilliard was two weeks away and I still haven't even picked  the piece I want to play. It’s crazy that I even got an audition with my grades.What did they see in me?
I got out of Krisie’s car and waited for them to leave before I started walking over to the bus station and then  saw my boyfriend Nate cross the street. He's paying so much attention to the cars that he doesn't notice me.
……..………………………………………………..……………….…………………

Walking  into my home I can hear my parents fighting about not having enough money for alcohol and drugs. The whole room smells like skunk and I can't bear it. I had enough of them!
“STOP IT!!!!! THE DRUGS, THE ALCOHOL, ALL OF IT! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?! DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT WE HAVE no  MONEY AND THE MONEY THAT WE DO HAVE IS SPENT ON ALCOHOL AND DRUGS!! I STRUGGLE TO PAY THE BILLS BY GOING TO WORK AFTER SCHOOL AND YOU guys don't even TRY!”
They don’t seem to care. Instead, my dad grabs my hair, saying
“What?!” With grouch
“I reply with “I’m done with you and everything else!”
He then slowly brings up his fist and punches me in the left eye.
My vision becomes blurry and I fall cold to the floor.
…………………………………………………………………………………
My body is cold as I wake. I get up and spot my two parents also on the floor next to an empty cocaine bag. While walking over to grab the bag, I see foam all over their mouths. I come close to them as I check to see if they were breathing. No sign.
My heart stopped.
“MOM, DAD! Wake Up! Wake up!” I began to cry  “What did you do?!”
“MOM” I shook her “Come on!”
I grabbed my phone and dialed 911.

………………………………………………………………………………………………

Police rushed into my apartment. I watched as they placed them both into a large black bag. That was the last time I saw their faces.