Image

Norah

A writer who wants to be an actor who wants to be a poet.
Witchcraft | Queer Musings | Moon Poetry

Is this too short? I've been thinking up this story for quite some time but I can't really seem to get it down to paper. Any suggestions?

Rain

It was still raining in the house. Eva couldn’t remember when it had started, before it had been mist, and before that, sultry summer heat. At first she had blamed it on bad insulation and leakage, then it had started raining. She couldn’t really explain that to an electrician or a plumber, she barely believed it herself. It was much easier to pretend she was hallucinating and cope with it as best she could. If only rain weren’t so wet.
    She stood in the entry way, key still jammed in the lock, door semi ajar, and watched the pounding rain through misted glasses. She adjusted her raincoat, dreading her inevitable soakage, and stepped inside. Eva closed the door, wondering for the thousandth time what her landlord was going to think. Water droplets cascaded down her jacket, and dripped from the hood into her eyes. She pulled tarps over her already soaked furniture, and took cover under the sink. (Her cat was already there, staring gloomily out at the rain). All windex and dish-washing fluids had been banished, to be replaced with blankets and semi-damp pillows. It was also the closest dry place to the heater. Poe, her cat, meowed pitifully, looking up at her with big brown eyes, she nudged him over, plopping her wet backpack next to her, and removing her jacket.
    She fished out her bio homework while the rain pounded on the sticky linoleum just outside, but it was late, and she was tired. Soon she was asleep, head lolling and legs askew, the cat purring at her feet.
  •  

“And you haven't done anything,” Maggie sounded incredulous. She sat on Eva’s kitchen counter, her legs swinging, squinting up at the pouring rain. They were both soaked, Maggie’s pixie cut was plastered to her forehead. Eva had to take off her glasses every ten seconds to wipe them on her wet T-shirt. But of course, squishing two almost-adults into the cabinet under the sink was out of the question.
    “And what would I do,” Eva snapped. Maggie looked taken aback.
    “Well, something, I don’t know, aren’t you at all curious?”she asked, leaning forward. Eva shrugged. “Oh, come on, how are you just ignoring this,” Maggie said exasperated. Eva started to turn away, she started to ask Maggie if they could go over to her place.
“It’s magic, Eva,” Maggie said, her eyes bright. Eva whirled around, her eyes wide and brown through her glasses.
“No,” she said shakily, “not magic, necessarily. Unexplained events, science that has yet to be discovered. Not magic.” She was pleading. Maggie suddenly looked concerned. She remembered. Eva was not the one with her head stuck in a book, not the one to believe in magic. Until this.
    “Eva, what other explanation do you have for this?” Maggie said painfully, her eyes were sad.
“I already told you, unexplained science, or something of that sort,” Eva said. Now she was the one clutching the counter.
“You know you don’t believe that.” 

1

• sincereskies

This is a great, and hilarious piece of writing! Please continue it, I must know more!!!