Jessica thingy knife copy 20151228 211745

Jacie XP

Hello pedestrians! Jacie XP here just being awesome like usual!
I'm a teen girl trapped by school (which is bleh).
I'm working on a story called Return, but I'm often distracted by other projects.

Here's chapter two of Borders! Sorry for the delay. So, what are your thoughts on this chapter?

Borders (Chapter Two)

0
To say that Jade freaked out would have been an understatement. She was screaming deliriously with tears streaming down her face, going on and on about ghosts and phantoms. Grabbing her by the shoulders, I said, “Jade, get a grip. There are no ghosts involved in this. A very real person was driving that car. Think logically. Whoever it was must have gotten out. They’re most likely long gone by now.”
Jade was trembling. Her green eyes were wide with fear. “How, Lora? I was watching through the rearview mirror the whole time. How could they have left without me seeing whoever it was leaving?”
I couldn’t come up with an answer to that. “Look, let’s just call the police and report a wrecked and abandoned vehicle. We don’t have to talk about how we were being tailed or even mention that we saw the crash happen,” I suggested. Jade nodded. Since I had left my phone in the car, she lent me hers. I dialed 911 and waited for the dispatcher.
“Hello, this Stacy. What’s your emergency?” said the voice on the other end.
“I’m at the corner of 2nd Avenue and 5th Street. There’s a car that’s off the road. It’s really beat up, I think there was a crash or something. There’s no driver as far as I can tell,” I explained.
“Okay, we’ll send someone to check it out. Thank you for calling.”
The line went dead and I gave Jade her phone back. We walked back to the car and climbed in. I started up the engine and drove down the street again. Glancing at the clock on the dashboard, I turned right onto 1st Avenue. 7:50. First period started in ten minutes. Jade and I would probably end up being late.
I pulled into the school parking lot and parked my car as close to the building as I could get. We grabbed our stuff and stepped out of the car. Going as fast as we could, we made our way into Hazen High school with five minutes left before class. Jade went off to her locker and I went to mine. Our lockers were in different halls and we only had a few classes together, but we still spent most of the school day together. I quickly went to my locker to sort out all of my things for each of my classes and then half ran to my English class. Just as the bell rang, I made it to the classroom. Mrs. Pincher, my teacher, gave me a stern look. I took my seat in the middle of the classroom and waited for her to start the lesson.
“Alright everybody, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of The Catcher in The Rye. I’m so excited that Mr. Bandwitz let us use this book for our unit on classics. Did I ever tell you that The Catcher in The Rye was my favorite book in twelfth grade? Would anyone like to read the beginning aloud? Miss Greene?”
My head shot up. All eyes were on me. “Wait, me?” I asked frowning.
“Yes, you, Lora. Please read that first paragraph for us all the way through. I know that there’s some profanity, but I’m sure you’ll be able to remain fluent since this is going down in the book as a participation grade,” Mrs. Pincher said.
My face burned. Mrs. Pincher must have hated me almost as much as I hated her. I pulled my book out of my purse, flipped to the beginning, and started reading.
“If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, an what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them. They're quite touchy about anything like that, especially my father. They're nice and all--I'm not saying that--but they're also touchy as hell. Besides, I'm not going to tell you my whole goddam autobiography or anything. I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas just before I got pretty run-down and had to come out here and take it easy. I mean that's all I told D.B. about, and he's my brother and all. He's in Hollywood. That isn't too far from this crumby place, and he comes over and visits me practically every week end. He's going to drive me home when I go home next month maybe. He just got a Jaguar. One of those little English jobs that can do around two hundred miles an hour. It cost him damn near four thousand bucks. He's got a lot of dough, now. He didn't use to. He used to be just a regular writer, when he was home. He wrote this terrific book of short stories, The Secret Goldfish, in case you never heard of him. The best one in it was ‘The Secret Goldfish.’ It was about this little kid that wouldn't let anybody look at his goldfish because he'd bought it with his own money. It killed me. Now he's out in Hollywood, D.B., being a prostitute. If there's one thing I hate, it's the movies. Don't even mention them to me.”
I finished and put the book down. Everyone continued to stare at me. Finally, Mrs. Pincher said, “Good job, Lora. That was good.”
Good. It was only good. Great, I probably had a great big C for participation. Explaining that to my parents would be a blast.
I pretty much zoned out for the rest of the class. Mrs. Pincher didn’t make anyone else read from her stupid book. Go figure.
When the bell rang at the end of the period, I was more than happy to get out of Mrs. Pincher’s classroom. Speaking of the witch, she stopped me at the door and said, “I hope you won’t be coming into my class late anymore, Miss Greene.”
I smiled sweetly at her and got the hell out of her English Room of Absolute Horrors. If I had things my way, I’d never set foot in that classroom again. Luckily, my next class was biology, one of the only classes I shared with Jade. I swung by my locker and then met up with her at hers.
“So,” she said, smiling, “How bad was Pincher today?”
“Horrible,” I groaned. “I came in late and she made me read from The Catcher In The Rye. It’s a terrible book. J.D. Salinger’s vocabulary seems to be very limited considering how freely he uses his poetic license.”
Jade got the hint and nodded. “Someone should have thrown a dictionary at his head when he was alive.”
“Maybe he died that way. I guess someone tried to teach him a few new words and it ended up being too much for his poor, little mind,” I joked.
Jade giggled. “I totally bet that’s what happened!” Suddenly, a mechanical chirping sound came from her bag. She pulled her phone out and rolled her eyes.
“What?” I asked.
Jade didn’t answer. Instead, she handed me her phone. There was a new text from her brother.

JASPER: Get me some potato chips on your way home

Jasper was Jade’s younger brother. He had the same blonde hair and green eyes that she had. Even though he was only 13, people always thought he was Jade’s twin.
I handed Jade her phone back. She had a quick conversation with him and then showed it me.

JADE: Don’t be a fatty
JASPER: I HAVE A RIGHT TO BEING OBESE
JADE: Fine
JASPER: :D You’re the best sis ever!
JADE: Go learn something instead of bugging me
JASPER: I take my previous comment back
JADE: SHUT UP IM GONNA BE LATE AGAIN

I laughed and said, “You were right about that being late part. We’d better hurry if we don’t want a second tardy today.”
The smirk disappeared from Jade’s face and we both ran down the hall as fast as we could without getting into trouble. We were at least two minutes late getting to class, but Mr. Gunger was never in class on time. Jade and I collapsed into the seats at the table we shared. Naomi Cash, the most popular girl in Hazen, shot me a dirty look from across. She’d hated me since the homecoming dance three years when I had accidentally spilled bright red punch all over her brand new designer dress. Honestly though, if she had just been looking where she was going, it never would’ve happened.
Mr. Gunger came into the room a few minutes later. As soon as he walked in, Naomi’s hand shot up. “Yes, Naomi?” he asked, settling down at his desk.
“Mr. Gunger, Lora and Jade came in over two minutes late,” she tattled. I caught her eye for a brief moment and she stuck her tongue out at me. That girl is so immature.
“Thank you for you concern, Naomi, but I was also not punctual today, so I’ll let it slide.” He turned to look at Jade and me. “Don’t make a habit of it, girls.”
Mr. Gunger turned away to organize his notes for the day. Naomi glared at me like I was a project she’d just failed. I averted my gaze and ignored her. That girl had problems, there was no doubt about it, but her problems didn’t need to become mine.
Mr. Gunger stood up from his desk and started his lesson. “Okay everyone, today we’re starting our unit on evolution. Before we start, I’d like you to know that we will discuss different evolution theories. In fact, you’ll do a project on your evolution theory and why you think that it’s right. Please keep in mind, though, that these are only theories and that scientists don’t know which is correct. Forcing your opinions on others will not be tolerated. Now that that’s out there, are you ready to start?”
A few mumbled replies rose up from the class. Mr. Gunger looked excited anyway. Suddenly, the black phone on the wall kept behind Mr. Gunger’s desk rang. Every classroom had one for communication back and forth between the teachers and the office. Mr. Gunger answered it and then turned to us saying, “Jade, you’re wanted in the office.”
With a confused look on her face, Jade got up and left the room. I tried to stay focused through Mr. Gunger’s lecture, but my mind was whirling. Why did they need Jade in the office? The only answers I could come up with were unpleasant ones. Maybe ten minutes later, the phone rang again. Mr. Gunger let out an exasperated sigh and answered it.
“Lora, they need you in the office too,” he said. Even more confused than I was only a few moments before, I stood up and left the room. As soon as the door clicked shut behind me, I heard mr. Gunger resume his snooze-filled lecture. He really needed to talk in less of a monotone.
I walked through the empty halls, too caught up in my thoughts to watch where I was going. Thump! I slammed into another girl going the opposite direction. She tumbled over onto the floor.
“Watch where you’re going, would ya?” she snapped, rubbing her left arm. The black marks of a tattoo on her forearm peeked out from under her sweatshirt. I couldn’t make out what the image was.
“Are you gonna help me up or something?” she asked rudely. Rolling my eyes, I pulled her up off of the floor. She tugged her sleeve back down all the way and took off down the hall without even thanking me. Suddenly realizing that I was suppose to be somewhere, I took off down the hall.
As soon as I entered the office, Meranda, a girl I knew from Spanish that also worked in the office, pointed straight towards the principal's office. “Why do I need to go in there?” I asked.
Meranda shrugged. “They don’t tell me much, but you’ve gotta be in a lot of trouble. A police officer came in here about half an hour ago looking for Jade. Apparently he wants to talk to you too. Did you rob a bank or something?”
I shook my head. “I don’t know what this about any more than you do.”
“Okay,” Meranda said, not quite believing me. She was also on the newspaper staff, so I knew that Meranda just wanted a good story to publish. Taking a deep breath, I pushed open the door to Mr. Bandwitz’s office.
Jade looked relieved as soon as I walked in. Her face was pale and she looked clammy. She started to get up from her chair, but Mr. Bandwitz stopped her saying, “Please stay seated, Miss Weber. Miss Greene, please come join us.”
I closed the door and sat down in the chair next to Jade. Just like Meranda had said, there was a police officer sitting in the corner of the room, watching us.
“Now, Miss Greene,” Mr. Bandwitz started, “Do you know why I called Miss Weber and you down to my office?”
“I don’t, sir,” I answered. Jade put her head in her hands. Obviously, this already wasn’t going well. My best guess, was that someone reported us going way over the speed limit earlier that morning. But would that really warrant a police officer coming to our school?
“Alright then. Since both of you girls seem to have idea as to what you did, I’ll have Officer Riley fill you in,” Mr. Banwitz said.
The police officer seated in the corner stood up. He walked over to Jade and me, an annoyed look displayed on his face. “This morning at 7:48 a.m. we got a call from a Jade Weber about a wreck at the corner of 2nd Avenue and 5th Street. That was the caller I.D., but she told us that she lent you her phone to make the call. We were told that the car was practically totalled and there was no driver in sight. Is all of this correct?” Officer Riley asked. I nodded and he continued.
“We immediately sent an a couple of officers to check it out. I was one of them. Do you know what I found? There was no car. There wasn’t even any indication of an accident. Both of you have been charged with a misdemeanor offense of filing a false police report.”
It took a moment for that to sink in. “Are you saying that we could end up in jail? We didn’t do anything wrong! There really was an accident!” I claimed.
“Lora, you can let it go. You and your friend pulled a stupid prank and can’t bear to face the repercussions. I get this kind of crap a lot. Just confess and let it go,” Officer Riley said.
“Confess? No crime was committed! What the hell do you want me to—”
“Miss Greene, that is enough! Pleading innocent will only make things harder on you,” Officer Riley interrupted.
Jade jumped up from her seat. “Do you know what my mother taught me?” she asked. Not waiting for an answer, Jade continued. “She taught me to always tell the truth. She told me to protest when something isn’t right. The fourth commandment states that one should always obey their parents. In other words, it’s against my religion to not speak up right now. I didn’t make the call reported the crash, but I saw the car. Even though I may have lent Lora my phone and been a conspirator, I’m still a witness. I witnessed a totaled car that had gone off the road. Yes, there were skid marks. No, I don’t know what happened to them. There was also no driver in sight. That’s the truth. You say you found nothing. I believe you. What I don’t believe, you didn’t say. You never said when you got to the scene. To be perfectly honest, I don’t think you had prompt reaction time. Since no one was injured and the car wasn’t blocking traffic, you just let it wait. I can tell you why too. You were in bed when you got called in to deal with the accident. It probably took you about 20 minutes to haul yourself out of bed and get your shit together to do your job. For all we know, the car could’ve worse than it looked. The driver could’ve come back and driven away. You’ve got no evidence against us. Right now, you’re just cranky that our call got you woken up. I get it, you’re mad, but that doesn’t give you the right to abuse the law. Maybe if you knew how to get your fat ass out of bed, you would’ve seen the car. You can’t blame us for your personal problems. It’s time to drop it, bruh.”
Officer Riley’s face turned bright red with anger. “I’ll see you in court,” he growled, stalking out of the room. Mr. Bandwitz let out a deep breath. He turned his gaze to Jade. “That was very well-spoken, Miss Weber, but I’m not sure if it helped your case. Unfortunately for you two, the charge still stands. Look, this has apparently been a stressful day for you two. Go home and talk to your parents so that they can start looking for a lawyer. I know that neither of you will be able to focus in class. Just don’t make a big deal about how I let you out early,” Mr. Bandwitz proposed.
“Thank you,” I said as Jade dragged me out the door. As we left the office, Meranda called out to us, “Hey, what did you say to that cop? He looked so damn pissed when he was leaving!”
“Jade just gave him a piece of her mind!” I called back.
Jade dragged me all the way to her locker. “Isn’t this great, Lora? It’s not even after noon yet and we’re already getting out of school! I’m so happy, I might actually get Jasper some potato chips!” she gushed as she threw her books into her bag.
“Um Jade, I wouldn’t be packing my bag just yet if I were you,” I said.
“Why not?” she asked in an irritated tone, slinging her backpack onto her back.
“We left our stuff in biology.”
Jade looked like she was having trouble processing what I said. Suddenly she sucked in a big breath. “Are you telling me we left our stuff unguarded in the same room as Naomi Cash?” she asked in disbelief. I let out a loud gasp.
Jade stuffed her bag back into her locker and locked it. Then with both ran down to the science wing. Just as the bell rang, we made it to Mr. Gunger’s class. Jade flew through the door as soon as it was opened, crashing into a steady stream of students trying to get to their next class. Instead of saying excuse me, she shouted, “Get the hell out of my way!” Predictably, it worked better than being polite. I followed along the path she plowed through the crowd.
Jade smashed through the last remaining people and scooped her books up off of the table. She cradled them like a newborn baby. Smirking, I picked mine up too. “Do you think Naomi got to them?” I asked.
“She better not have,” Jade muttered, picking her purse up off of the floor. She opened it up and looked through it, making sure everything was in it’s place. “My stuff’s fine,” she informed me.
“Great, mine probably is too,” I said, grabbing my purse from under the table. It didn’t feel any lighter, so I didn’t bother to check it.
Mr. Gunger came back into the classroom. He frowned at us. “Girls, get your stuff together and leave! I have another class to teach! Oh and Naomi volunteered to get you caught up on what you missed. Talk to her for your notes and homework. It’s on you to get that done before class tomorrow. Have a nice day.”
He ushered us out of his room just as students from his next class started to trickle in. Jade let out a loud groan. “I think we both know the real reason that Naomi volunteered. She just wants to flunk us out of school.”
I nodded solemnly. “Now I’ll have another bad grade to explain to my parents.”
“Hey, at least yours aren’t home. Aren’t they still working on that hotel in like Kansas or something? When are they getting back?” Jade asked.
“My mom said that they’ll be home for Thanksgiving in three weeks. Of course, she’s said that before and been off by ten .”
“It’s so cool that they’re letting you stay home for like months at a time now. When I’m 18, my mom still isn’t going to let me stay home without a ‘real’ adult even it’s just for the weekend,” Jade complained.
“The way they see it, I could move out if I wanted. If I did, I’d be spending the same amount of time without them around. You’re mom knows she’s still going to be stuck with you until you’re thirty,” I pointed out.
Jade laughed. “That’s true. She’s never getting rid of me.”
We stopped at Jade’s locker for her to pull on her coat and grab her bag. She stuffed her biology books into it and slung it onto her back. Before leaving the school, we swung by my locker on the way out for my coat and backpack. Jade and I walked through the parking lot to my car. She walked around to the left side and I went to the right. As soon as Jade got around to her side of the car, she let out a loud gasp.
“Lora, you’d better come see this!” she said tugging me over to the opposite side of the car. I got over to her side and let out a loud gasp too. Someone had spraypainted a huge, strange symbol onto the side of my car. It was a capital XP with little wing-like things sticking out on the sides:

IMAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED

“Who would do something like this?” I asked Jade, completely appalled.
“Probably not Naomi. If she was going to vandalize your car, she’d probably write some not-so-nice words instead of a stupid symbol. Who else hates you?” Jade suggested.
“Oh my God, what are parents going to say? How much do you think it’ll cost to paint over that?” I asked, close to tears.
Jade put a hand on my shoulder. “I’m sure it’ll all end up okay. Let’s just get home so you can call your parents. Okay?” she said in a low, reassuring voice. I nodded and sniffled, getting into the driver’s seat of the car. Jade climbed in next to me and I drove her straight home.

• November 15, 2015 - 2:40am (Now Viewing)