Gloria Lam

Hello! My name is Gloria, currently a high school student with an interest in STEM subjects and I value collaboration and learning from others. I hope my articles can bring value and understanding to many people.
Follow me and I'll follow back!

Please edi for grammatical errors and also, can you make this article appear on the magazine print version?

The River That No Longer Sparkled

PROMPT: Solastalgia

4
    The sun beat on my face as I entered the withering fields. It no longer shone- it beated with its intense rays- losing its beauty and brilliance. It was the summer of 2050, twenty years since I have visited my home town. What had once been a charming, arid environment with a blue sparkling river that I sat in times of melancholy had dulled and now sparkled with plastic bottles and chip bags. At night, the river no longer showed the glowing moon like a mirror. I once turned to the night sky for peace from a hectic day, but I was now greeted with tall buildings and an endless stream of cars. I loved my hometown, but I was no longer in love with it. 
    As I sat with a pen in my hand near the sun shown window, I pondered what had become in the years since I have left. I had never believed things would come to this. I've always believed that "others" would take care of it and that "others" would come up with a solution. It was only until now that I realized what I had lost and what I had never appreciated. I turned off my edm music and for the first time in so many years took some time to think. What had I lost?
    Then it struck me: before I had left to university I forgot to remind m parents to take care of the birds that came often to visit. A sudden feeling of guilt and sadness entered me. I knew they wold have died by now, but I wondered how they spent their years when I felt. Did they enjoy the breeze in their faces? Did they enjoy the emerald green leaves? Did they enjoy the bright yellow buttercups? I would never know. 
    Did I do anything about it? I felt powerless...It had gone too far to do anything, I thought. Suppressing my feelings, I resumed my music and did nothing. I had surrendered.