Applecharm11 Starhorse

Hi! I love writing about animals, fantasy and just expressing myself through words. 'A painting paints a thousand words' so why not a thousand words form a painting?

Hi! I write for hobby and for escaping troubles. I love to write as I get to 'live through' the stories I improvise on the spot. It makes me able to feel and be someone else in a world where I can change anything.I hope my words can make a difference

The Single Voice

0
The deer wailed a pain filled yelp before falling to the ground, eyes unseeing. The hunter approached and inspected the fortieth kill that day. “I can get little from this one.” The man said gruffly. “It is so thin, none shall want its meat or skin.” With that, the man turned, rifle slung over his shoulder, and walked away from the worthless prey. Its blood ran scarlet against the powder snow, face stiff in its tortured face. The young hunter trudged through the snow, the ice crunching under his blood stained boots. He loaded his kills onto the back of his truck, where a collection of deer, foxes, rabbits and racoons lay, never to feel the warmth of the spring sun ever again. The young man kicked the corpses and jammed them in between the others, finally fitting them all in. He was about to slid into the driver’s seat when a snap echoed through the trees. “Looks like a trap caught something. I hope its worth my time.” Grumbled the hunter as he slipped back under the canopy of leaves.

The rattling of chains led him to a small clearing. The end of the snare trap connected to the trunk of a tree. The hunter beamed at his skill of hiding traps well. Whipping up his rifle, he slowly approached. A magnificent grey wolf grrowled and bit at the metal bound entrapping his hind leg. ‘This one will get me a new rifle!’ The man thought as he imagined the money he could get from the animal. He fired a clean blow through its head. With a blood curdling whine, it fell to its side. It breathed hard fpor a few seconds, then went still. The man got up from his cover of bushes to claim his prize when a black figure entered the scene. He darted back into hiding and watched. The wolf pup sniffed the air and slowly approached the fallen wolf. It perked up as if it had scented something and dashed to the grey wolf. The hunter rubbed his hands with glee. ‘I can kill two birds with one stone.’ He lowered his gun to the pup’s level, his finger holding the trigger. The black wolf pushed his snout into the bigger wolf’s fur. Its pitiful whining came in short waves. The hunter grinned and pulled the trigger.

The familiar yowl of shock and agony broke the cloud of silence. The black pup’s eyes were wide at the red liquid that trickled down his side. He stumbled a few steps away the she-wolf and let out a strangled gasp. The man, knowing it would be dead soon, came out of hiding and strode proudly to the two. The wolf saw the man and growled but was broken by whines of pain. “Stupid animal,” he spat. “Why come to this wolf when it was killed by a hunter? Stupid, stupid animal.” The black wolf fell on its back, legs splayed on the now lava red snow. The hunter then saw that the grey wolf was still breathing, just barely. He brought his rifle up to finish it off when he saw movement from the pup. Blood gushing from its wound, it staggered infront of the larger wolf and blocked his way.

“Move!” The hunter hissed. But the pup stood firm. “Do you want to die?!” growled the hunter. The wolf was silent. Then it jerked its head back and a loud howl escaped its jaws. It didn’t move the hunter but something hit him. It was different from the angry battle howls of wolves he had encountered before. He could feel the pain in its small voice. But he felt it wasn’t of its own pain, but directed to the grey wolf who was now very dead. His wailing grew louder, the torturous cries reverbeated off the forest trees. The hunter felt something. What? Fear? No. Guilt. It gripped him and chilled him to the bone. The wolf’s lone, agonising song grew in power that even the trees seemed to lean in, to listen to the single song of wordless lyrics.
“Shut up!” With a tight squeeze, a bullet silenced the black pup. The forest fell silent. The hunter panted and looked at the two dead wolves at his feet. “Do not enter this forest again, human.” The wind hissed before slipping into the shadows. The hunter looked around, eyes wide. “Leave,” the trees growled. “Never return.” The hunter ran, leaving his prizes on the tainted ground. “If I find you here again,” the wind roared after him. “it will be your end.”

The hunter took a deep breath before fastening the trap to a tree. Ten years since he hunted in this forest. But something within him forced him to return. He did not understand this feeling but after ten long years, it decided to take charge. The man had only placed a few snare traps and had many more to place. But his hands seemed to repel against the traps. “I guess that’s enough for today.” He suggested to himself. As he turned back to return to the truck, he realised he had forgotten the path he had taken. Shoving his hands into his pocket, he breathed out a breath of fear and walked into the mass of trees, hoping to retrace his steps. The tree leaves rustled as a mysterious force pushed past. “I warned you not to return.” The figure hissed softly, eyes never leaving the hunter.

He felt he had been walking in circles. He trembled against the bitter cold, his rifle bouncing lightly on his back. He let out a sigh of relief as he entered a clearing. “Finally-“ he stopped. This wasn’t where his truck was. He scanned the area, its presence jogging a memory. Then images of the past flashed before him. He saw the black pup howl its song. The man gasped and terrified, looked in all directions. He stumbled backwards as the shadows seemed to grab for him when he hit something. He turned and his face fell pale.

Before him stood a strong large wolf. Muscle could be seen under its black pelt. The moonlight shone on the male wolf, his gold eyes settling on the unwelcomed guest. His fur shone slightly and stars seemed to spark out of it. The wolf drew back his lips, baring his mighty white fangs. “You dare return.” He growled. The hunter felt his heart skip a beat. He pushed away from the unatural creature. The black wolf stepped forward. “Stay away from me!” The hunter shrieked. He grabbed his rifle and fired. The bullet sailed through the air, going harmlessly through the wolf. The wolf continued to approach. “Do you remember me?” “You’re that pup…” the man stammered. He fired more shots, all went through uselessly. His eyes went wide. “Stay away from me!” The wolf growled. “It is time for your punishment. My spirit will not rest until you are dealt with.” At his words, five wolves emerged from the undergrowth. All encircled the horrified hunter, who had now become the prey. The spirit wolf lunged forward and hurled the rifle out of his hands. “What do you want from me?!” The man stammered. All five gave him cold stares. “Take a good look, human.” The jet black beast hissed. “These wolves are orphans because of you.” The five growled in shared anger. “You killed our parents for your own selfish needs. But that,” the spirit paused. “is not why we are upset.” The first wolf started to advance. “We are in rage as you treated us like nothing!” The second wolf followed. “You killed our loved ones without a second thought!” The third walked forward. “You treat us as if we are not living creatures. Do we not have feelings? We share the same happiness and sadness as you. We feel pain. But yet, you kill without mercy. No respect, no regret.” The fourth drew closer. “We are people too! We share love and grief! But you, your heart is as cold as ice. Our lives are nothing to you. What do you have to say? What do you have to say for all the hearts you broke? For all the pain and suffering you caused? What do you have to say to us? To me?!” The fifth padded forth. All five snapped their jaws, claws ready for blood. As they neared, the man shook. The spirit’s words stabbed into him, churning the feeling in his chest. The man was overwhelmed. “You treated our lives like nothing! What do you have to say?!” The man then understood. He unlocked the cage in which he had trapped the confusing feeling. The hunter bellowed as loud as he could, his feelings now free. His final words shattering the cold air as the wolves leapt.

“I’m sorry!”