Binary code icon 2

Glytch Montoya

I've been writing short stories and poems independently for a while now. In fact, whenever I get the chance, I work on my short stories, for which I use the word "short" VERY loosely. I'm looking forward to seeing your opinions!

FLASHBAAAAAAAACKS!!!!!!!!

Chaos Pacificae Flashbacks (Victor)

4
...
...
...
    "Computer, open my private log. New entry." 
    "Yes, Commander Strongheart," a computerized female voice responded. 
    A popup filled the screen with a dark green grid, with a light green border. Three dots kept flashing in the middle, indicating it was loading. Finally, it loaded. As he spoke, the words appeared on the screen, pauses and all. 
    "Victor's Log. Time: 0900 hours. It's hard to believe that the world I once knew is the same world I am looking at now. The natives are long gone. Those that are still alive, that is. Yet, the bombings are still going. I fail to comprehend what Captain Scott could possibly have to gain from wasting ammunition on a fallen world, nor do I see the benefit of killing the world in the first place. Speaking metaphorically, we killed the horse, and didn't stop beating it yet... This has to end soon. The Wars are meaningless, anyway. You cannot reap what you cannot touch. Starting this war for the world in the first place was a fool's folly, and the world in question is suffering the consequences... I cannot stand by and let this happen... Even if it means mutiny. If I am marked a traitor, so be it... End entry." 
    The screen showed a circle of expanding and shrinking dots, indicating it was saving, until eventually, it changed to show a check mark and went black. 
    Victor stood up from his station and took a look around at the ship. He was a commander on a Helvetican airship, which had been outfitted with bombing capabilities just one night prior. The ship was scrapped together from pieces of several different steampunk airships, which were very common on Helvetica-7, and easily outfitted with dimensional transportation capabilities... At least, to this world, anyway. 
    Victor shoved his black hair out of his green eyes, sweat glistening on his light brown skin as he pondered what he was doing. There was a reason Victor never wanted to work for Dr. Helvetica, and not just because all of his creations are murderous mechanical sadists. Helvetica Labs were against everything that Victor stood for, and this war was the biggest black mark on the already darkened rap sheet of Helvetica-7. 
    To top it all off, the world in question was one that Victor was very fond of. After all, his mother was born there. 
    "Commander," said one of Victor's lower officers, bringing Victor back into awareness. "We've got a situation." 
    Victor walked to the officer's station and looked at her monitor. She was monitoring the activities of certain specific locals, ones that were seen as potential assets... Or threats, as the case may be. 
    The monitor was focusing on a very specific local, who was doing something that Victor didn't think was possible... 
    "...Holy Helvetica, is that actually happening?" Victor said, his deep, slightly monotone voice still showing signs of concern. 
    "Affirmative, Commander." 
    "...Tarry... I always knew he was strong, but this is... This is just... I don't even know what to say..." 
    "We have reasons to believe that this is an act of retaliation." 
    "Doubtful. I've met Tarry. If this is anything along those lines, it won't just be simple retaliation. This must be vengeance for Christopher." 
    "Should I send in a scout?" 
    "Negative. Just keep observing from here." 
    "Yes, Commander." 
    Victor then walked away from that station. He took another look around. Nobody was just chatting or conversing. Everything was strictly military business... And it had been since the war started two days earlier. 
    "Captain Scott," said another officer, "priority targets neutralized. Should we cease fire?" 
    "Negative. Keep bombing until you see the planet's core." 
    Victor immediately spun to look directly at Captain Scott. He had already been on the fence about him, but this was crossing the line. 
    "That's not a good idea," said Victor, in a quiet-yet-clear voice that was clearly meant for Captain Scott to hear. 
    "Excuse me?" said Captain Scott, spinning around to find who said that. "Who said that?" 
    Victor stepped forward. 
    "I did, sir." 
    "You? Commander Oxcart?" 
    "...Commander Strongheart, and yes, sir." 
    "...Could you repeat what you said? I'm not sure if I heard you correctly." 
    Victor took another step forward. 
    "Bombing this planet to the core is a bad idea, Captain." 
    "You're just saying that because you had people here." 
    "Negative, Captain. I'm saying that because... Permission to speak freely?" 
    "...Granted." 
    "This world has already fallen. Bombing it any more could result in that status dropping from Fallen to Dead. If it falls any further than that, we're looking at the potential Destruction of this planet, and that would be highly counterproductive." 
    "I don't think so, Longart. We're just harvesting the adamantite at this point." 
    "...Strongheart, and that's just it. You can't just harvest adamantite." 
    Victor then reached into his pocket and retrieved a small, red, crystalline-looking gem. A piece of adamantite. 
    "...You have to have connections," Victor continued. 
    Captain Scott was a bit shocked. 
    "Where did you get that?" Captain Scott questioned. 
    "Oh, this?" said Victor, tossing the gem in the air and catching it repetitively, as one may do with a ball. "It was a birthday present from my mom, years ago." 
    "You realize that is basically contraband at this point?" said Captain Scott. "Give me that adamantite this instant." 
    "Go ahead, take it. Be my guest." 
    Captain Scott walked to Victor, who had his hand extended, holding the piece of adamantite out for Scott to grab. As soon as Scott touched it, it began to glow, and Scott quickly retracted his hand and yelped in pain, a really severe burn appearing on his hand. 
    "Not that easy, is it?" said Victor. "You can't just go and take the adamantite. There's a reason it's called that. It's adamant about who touches it and who doesn't." 
    "How come you can touch it?" Captain Scott asked. 
    "Because 50% of my blood is from this world. Only a pure 100% native can fully wield it, but any fraction of blood from this world allows someone to touch it. Or, if there is a person that is truly a good person at heart, they'll be able to touch it unscathed. That says something about you..." 
    "Are you implying that I'm a bad person?" 
    "I'm not implying anything. The adamantite is burning it into your hand." 
    "...You are treading on thin ice, Foxmart." 
    "STRONGHEART! My name is Victor Strongheart, Captain." 
    "Commander, you're out of line." 
    Right then, the sounds of the bombings stopped. Captain Scott turned back to look through the big window in front of them. 
    "And you're out of ammo," Victor said. 
Just a little flashback for Chaos Pacificae lore! This one is for Victor Strongheart, the guy that Pax and Keira are supposed to find on Helvetica-7. 

• Lee Fudge

He does, actually.

• Glytch Montoya

Does Aragon have a son, by any chance?

• Lee Fudge

He does, his name is Aragon.

• Glytch Montoya

Hmm... That's an excellent question...
    I think, for the sake of the plot, it would be best if this one is a new Dr. Helvetica... Maybe Julius's nephew or something?
    ...Does Julius have any siblings? If not, then that's a no to the nephew thing.

• Lee Fudge

Is this a new Dr. Helvectica, or is Julius alive somehow?

• Aussie23

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahem, I like it.