Sebastian Alvarez

Positive and negative

Current Government:
Failing the people?
       In today’s way of life, many things fail us. Everything from our microwave to our cars will eventually fail us. But what about our country, more specifically our country's government. It’s hard to imagine Something so large in it’s impact on our life can actually be what might be failing us the most. 
       Since the turn of the year, there have been 18 School shootings in the U.S., the death toll was 22 deaths,This was 2018 alone. “the total number of school shootings in the United States since the beginning of the year to 18 (or roughly three per week), according to the gun control advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety”,( government is just now passing laws that would raise the legal gun purchase and possession age. Also being passed are mental health background checks. But this should have been done so late. All of the parents and loved ones who are suffering because of the governments delay of these laws. “Just seven weeks into 2018, there have been eight shootings at US schools that have resulted in injury or death.
Seventeen people have been confirmed dead in the latest shooting in Parkland, Florida, on Valentine’s Day.Less than a month ago, a 15-year-old student opened fire at a high school in Kentucky, leaving two students dead and 18 injured. Other incidents have been grave, but on a smaller scale.In early February, one student in Los Angeles was shot in the head, and another in the arm, when a gun concealed in a fellow student’s backpack went off”,( How is it that the U.S. government has taken so long to react? 
         Among other things as well, the government is currently trying to tear apart families. “Federal immigration agents stormed into nearly 100 7-Eleven stores nationwide in an unprecedented search for undocumented workers under President Donald Trump”,( How is this doing his civic duty as president? Pulling the people apart is not what the country needs as a strength in a leader. Although they might be illegal, the country’s leader/s should be helping the people become legal. The purpose of the government is to serve the people, and it states in the U.S. constitution that if the government were to fail its duty to the people, the people have the right to overthrow the government.
        Who are you to speak about the government? You are not a government official. These thoughts would be of someone who does not believe I have merit. But they would be wrong, for I am of the people and I am currently part of the people. The one and only purpose is to serve the people. Even though they might not believe that people don’t know what’s best for them, are they not people? Or do they consider themselves as deities, celestial beings, or gods even? They are of the people, not above them. And they suppose to be for the people, not against. And they are not elected to rule the people, they are elected to do actions ruled by the people. “government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth”, ( The speech of a president who knew what his job was, Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. The government's existence is based solely to serve the people. 
         Many things have failed us and may continue to fail us, but government should not be one of those things. Yes, mistakes are made. But they should acknowledge the mistakes made and discontinue the mistakes, not build on them and enlarge them. And if the government is ceasing to serve the people, maybe the people are the one making the mistake. The mistake of keeping and strengthening a government the does not fulfill its purpose is maybe the biggest mistake of them all. This issue should be addressed at a higher level. But until then, this essay should at least acknowledge the issue and hopefully spark a change.